What Should I Feed My Musk Turtle?

Aaron153

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi there,

I am planning to get a baby musk turtle and was wondering how much to feed him/her. I know you feed frozen bloodworms, but how much bloodworms and how often?

Also, what age do I stop feeding them and what do I start feeding them after the frozen bloodworms?

Tried to do research on this but can't get any luck.

Thank you!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi there,

I am planning to get a baby musk turtle and was wondering how much to feed him/her. I know you feed frozen bloodworms, but how much bloodworms and how often?

Also, what age do I stop feeding them and what do I start feeding them after the frozen bloodworms?

Tried to do research on this but can't get any luck.

Thank you!
You don't just want to feed blood worms. Your on track with the idea of a naturalistic diet, but the most important thing is variation (although pellets like zoo med musk diet is okay here and now.) You have to first think about the shape of these guys heads. Little blunt heads like pit bulls. These little dudes have surprisingly good jaw pressure. So crustaceans like crayfish, aquatic snails, shelled shrimp(yes, all of it) fish, duck weed, superworms, clam, dragon fly larvae, tadpoles, earthworms, blood worms, crickets and even acorns. Feeding them something different everyday along with good water quality and heating ensures a healthy musk. Hope this helps.

Aaron153

London
You don't just want to feed blood worms. Your on track with the idea of a naturalistic diet, but the most important thing is variation (although pellets like zoo med musk diet is okay here and now.) You have to first think about the shape of these guys heads. Little blunt heads like pit bulls. These little dudes have surprisingly good jaw pressure. So crustaceans like crayfish, aquatic snails, shelled shrimp(yes, all of it) fish, duck weed, superworms, clam, dragon fly larvae, tadpoles, earthworms, blood worms, crickets and even acorns. Feeding them something different everyday along with good water quality and heating ensures a healthy musk. Hope this helps.
Thank you! How long do I feed this? Or do I continue to feed these but just add a larger portion overtime? Cheers

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Thank you! How long do I feed this? Or do I continue to feed these but just add a larger portion overtime? Cheers
Experiment. Of course, always be observant. You don't want to over feed. You could feed small portions everyday, or sizable meals every other day. For instance, If I'm feeding my musk turtle shrimp one day, and it's an adult; I'd probably feed it one large, shelled shrimp. The next day I wouldn't feed it or perhaps switch to vegetation like duckweed it can eat on the surface of the water. If I'm feeding superworms, maybe five and no feeding the next day. You just have to learn to guage how much is enough.

Aaron153

London
Experiment. Of course, always be observant. You don't want to over feed. You could feed small portions everyday, or sizable meals every other day. For instance, If I'm feeding my musk turtle shrimp one day, and it's an adult; I'd probably feed it one large, shelled shrimp. The next day I wouldn't feed it or perhaps switch to vegetation like duckweed it can eat on the surface of the water. If I'm feeding superworms, maybe five and no feeding the next day. You just have to learn to guage how much is enough.
Thank you for your help ?