What Percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
What percentage of torts - especially sulcatas - that are bought in a petstore or online make it to adulthood and die of natural deaths? (not including natural deaths caused by neglect)

also do yall think the sulcata is the hardest to care for and therefore has the lowest chance?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I don't think Sulcatas are that hard. The biggest issue is their size and associated space needs. But caring for them is pretty easy if you actually do research and try (more that most people are willing to do sadly).

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sulcatas are pretty forgiving and are pretty easy, like chad said size is the issue and what makes them "hard" but... russians, and hermanns are pretty easy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If all the baby sulcatas sold made it to adult hood.. we would be over run with them.. i dont think many make it.. compared to the thousands of babies being sold.....
lots is rescues.. but people dont care enough or dont keep them warm and they just die....people think all torts hibernate.. most dont.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
some just dont thrive as well.. mine dyed and it was pretty much out of my hands.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wonder what percentage of them that make it get dumped?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
janiedough said:
i wonder what the most common mistake is? just anything leading up to RI's?

This is just my opinion, from what I've seen coming into my Rescue. The most common mistake is keeping them in the house without the proper UV lighting.

Yvonne

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I want to start a rescue here in Louisiana because I am sure most of these torts around here are dumped in the bayou.

Louisiana seems to be perfect for raising torts - rarely does it get below 60 even in winter. Every weed in my yard is the perfect lunch. Humidity is good, and not a large amount of hawks (least not that I know of).

I just need maybe one other person to help because I work and go to school. And if they got sick I wouldn't have the money for vet visits.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Laura said:
If all the baby sulcatas sold made it to adult hood.. we would be over run with them.. i dont think many make it.. compared to the thousands of babies being sold.....
lots is rescues.. but people dont care enough or dont keep them warm and they just die....people think all torts hibernate.. most dont.

I agree with Laura. Most might take proper care of them in the beginning then start slacking off. That won't happen with mine, they are both part of my family now.

Status
Not open for further replies.