what kind of plants should I plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
I plan on redoing my babies Zeus outdoor enclosure.... I will be planting new plants but my question is what kind of plants should I buy? I want to give him a nice big variety and something for him to hide in...ideas?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'd love to suggest plants, but I think in Florida you will have plant options I've never even dreamed of here on the high desert.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
I didn't know bird seed planted grass that's cool... and yes I do have a lot of plant options that's why I don't know what to plant.. I need something that I know he will still eat. I want to give him a variety but I don't know what plants are good for him.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
ICUSleeping said:
I didn't know bird seed planted grass that's cool... and yes I do have a lot of plant options that's why I don't know what to plant.. I need something that I know he will still eat. I want to give him a variety but I don't know what plants are good for him.

Hibiscus, Florida prickly pear, crepe myrtle, aloe, spider plants, sun hosta, mulberry, wandering Jew, purslane, zinnias.... What part of Florida are you located in? I have prickly pear coming out the ears:) I also plant tubs of grass and sulcata seed mix and also have it growing in the pen.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ICUSleeping said:

Bird seed gives a variety of grasses :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Bird seed contains two grasses: milo and millet. These are both grain crops that have a very course leaf when mature and, depending on the variety, can grow quite tall. When the plants are young sprouts they are good feed for your tortoise, but if you want a long-term grass that will stay fine textured and palatable, buy seed at a garden center.

richellesworld

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast - Texas
ICUSleeping said:
I plan on redoing my babies Zeus outdoor enclosure.... I will be planting new plants but my question is what kind of plants should I buy? I want to give him a nice big variety and something for him to hide in...ideas?

-Lavender
•Dandelion
•Prickly Pear Cactus pads (Opuntia species) - You can scrape off the needles with a sharp knife or burn them off by holding the pad over the flame of a gas or propane camp stove
•Broadleaf Plaintain or Buckhorn Plantain (Plantago major or Plantago lanceola)
•Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea grossulariaefolia)
•Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule)
•Hollyhock (Alcea rosea)
•Roses (Rosa species) - flowers only
•Sowthistle
•Chickweed
•Hibiscus (Hibiscus species)
•Geranium (Pelargonium species)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
So many possibilities!!!!

These are the mixes I use in our torts gardens:

Grazing Tortoise Mix
Russian Seed Mix

They include Crimson Clover, Red Clover, Turnip Greens, Kentucky Blue Grass, Orchard Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass, Rye Grass, Barley Grass, Chia, Chicory, Timothy Grass, White New Zealand Clover, Plantain, Turf Fescue, and Creeping Red Fescue.

If you have enough space for a bush, torts LOVE habiscus. Prickley pear cactus is another favorite as is dandelion weeds. Strawberries and turnips are very easy to grow and are available at most grocery stores.

If you have space limitations, the little pots of "pet grass" sold in pet stores are also a good option.

Good luck and keep us posted! I love to see pics of tortoise gardens!

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
THANKS EVERYONE that really helps....I live in orlando, I plan on buying some plants at lowes this week and redoing his home. Ill post some pictures as soon as im done!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ICUSleeping said:
THANKS EVERYONE that really helps....I live in orlando, I plan on buying some plants at lowes this week and redoing his home. Ill post some pictures as soon as im done!

Ok!

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Zeus's new plants...hopefully the fire ants dont come back..Lowes and homedepot didnt have alot of plants i wanted to get so i had to settle =/ Still might make some changes in a few weeks depending on how the plants take but over all better then before =) Zeus loves it

Attachments

• 2012-08-10_15-10-52_7.jpg
    2012-08-10_15-10-52_7.jpg
    962 KB · Views: 58

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy cow! It's a jungle in there and you just planted it! It looks like a fantastic tortoise playground to me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.