What is this tortoise/turtle? (Florida)

Tortooooga

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My niece just moved to Florida this week and found this after mowing the yard. What type is this ? My best guess is a southern painted turtle but looks like a tortoise to me?? 42256.jpeg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
what part of florida do they live in? looks kinda like a young eastern box turtle , or a gulf coast box turtle .....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
what part of florida do they live in? looks kinda like a young eastern box turtle , or a gulf coast box turtle .....
I'm not sure about the separate sub species. Just that the babies have that tell tale series of marks that look like a stripe down the spine.
They're fairly common near the Everglades.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm not sure about the separate sub species. Just that the babies have that tell tale series of marks that look like a stripe down the spine.
They're fairly common near the Everglades.
Most baby Box Turtles in the eastern states have that same series of lighter marks down the center of their backs. This one is lacking the nearly black shell and the radiating yellow markings on the costal scutes which would be much more indicative of a Florida Box Turtle.

It looks to me like a baby Gulf Coast or Eastern Box Turtle depending upon exactly where it was found in FL.