What is the name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruri

5 Year Member
Does anyone know the name of this leaf?

My RT likes this leaf from spring mix salads, but I can't find it in the store by itself. My RT doesn't eat the rest of the spring mix, so I have to eat the rest.

Thanks

Tortoise006.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Jeez it's awful that your tortoise has forced you to eat rabbit food.
But it's my opinion that him eating just one thing is not healthy. He needs to eat a variety to grow and be strong, and from your other post he is not growing and being strong. I would continue to feed him all the Spring Mix and I would cut it up into small mouth sized pieces and then mix it all around so he can't pick out just one thing. He may not be very happy about it, but if YOU stay strong and keep doing that day after day he will have to eat all the different lettuces because you have given him no other choice...remember to cut it all up small, that's the secret to good feeding...:) good luck with him...and please keep us posted

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I agree with both Maggie and Dawna. Looks like baby red romaine which seems to be addicting to many a tort, but like two legged kids, torts often need someone to help them eat what is best for them, so chop it up small so it gets all its nutrients tort daddy. :)

Ruri

5 Year Member
Thanks for the concern everyone, but I do feed him Dandelion, Cactus pads, and Romain. I Grow Dandelion and Cactus pads so far, but I'm trying to grow more on my own to cut cost down.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
It's good Richard that you are gowing your own. Not only is it more cost effective it is healthier for your tort. You could get some hibiscus they are in the stores now and quite inexpensive as are daylilies and california poppies which will reseed themselves. Also planting a grape plant is a good investment it will give you grape leaves for your tort, and grapes for you. Wandering jew grows well as do roses and geraniums in pots or in the ground. But remember if you do not start from seed give it 3 to 6 months to get all the pestisides out. but what wonderful stuff you could have next summer. Lots of stuff can be planted now in S.CA It's the way I got started. Where in So Cal are you?

Ruri

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
It's good Richard that you are gowing your own. Not only is it more cost effective it is healthier for your tort. You could get some hibiscus they are in the stores now and quite inexpensive as are daylilies and california poppies which will reseed themselves. Also planting a grape plant is a good investment it will give you grape leaves for your tort, and grapes for you. Wandering jew grows well as do roses and geraniums in pots or in the ground. But remember if you do not start from seed give it 3 to 6 months to get all the pestisides out. but what wonderful stuff you could have next summer. Lots of stuff can be planted now in S.CA It's the way I got started. Where in So Cal are you?

WOW this sounds really good can I find these at Home Depot or Lowes?
So poppies, thankfully my tort doesn't need to take a drug test

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
They may have them there, or a nursery. If you're lucky you can find an organic nursery and feed them right away if the plant is big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.