What is it about hibiscus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batchick

5 Year Member
Does anyone know what makes hibiscus so irresistible to tortoises? Just gave Ned three flowers and he went crazy for them, as usual. He's OK with his greens,but prefers scrounging for dead leaved, really likes butternut, but is insane for hibiscus. I've heard a lot of tortoises are the same. Anyone know what is in hibiscus that makes it so desirable to torts?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
All I can say is, it is crack for tortoises.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I agree. It is crack for torts. Has to be something that they smell that is "perfumed" from the plant I suppose. Because my torts go crazy for bright colored foods but not as insane as the hibiscus. Perhaps a knowledgable plant person will come and know the scientific answer.

redbeef

5 Year Member
could be a smell thing, or maybe it could also be the pattern of light not visible to us...maybe it reflects uv light or some other frequency in a really attractive way?

does everyone find the same response regardless of the hibiscus color? I've only got pinkish ones (which aren't in bloom now anyways) so I can't say if my tort prefers one color over another...I do know that he goes crazy for all kinds of flowers though: always picks out dandelions or pansy flowers from a bed of greens...and he moves faster when I'm holding a flower near him than when I'm holding a regular old leaf.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its usually the smell, Taste and Color That makes These Guys Go Nuts!
If you ever looked at a leaf or flower real close they are very juicy almost like a sap

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I have about 6 different colored hibiscus plants, and I can honestly say I notice no difference in color when they attack them.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Mine will eat it occasionally but its not by any means their favorite. Maybe because they always have access to it.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I filled a hibiscus flower with canned pumpkin a couple weeks ago and it was gone instantly. They are also very healthy. We should probably eat the too.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Hibiscus flowers are used in salads for humans an I believe they also make a tea from them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It makes a great drink too. Called Jamaica. Pronounced ha-mike-a in Spanish.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have several Hibiscus as well,my redfoots love them and my radiated just ate a red one

Status
Not open for further replies.