What is good soil substrate?

axmna

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, sharjah
Hi everyone! I wanted to change my orchid bark substrate to a soil substrate for my baby mediterranean tortoise.. could someone suggest me what is better to purchase ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
None! They injest (eat) it and it clogs their system. I use orchid bark others use coir. I say keep the orchid bark.

Please read the care sheet to check your set up

axmna

UAE, sharjah
None! They injest (eat) it and it clogs their system. I use orchid bark others use coir. I say keep the orchid bark.

Please read the care sheet to check your set up
I have tried both but I think the tortoise enjoys more in the coir and is more active in coir I switched back to orchid bark but I was planning on switching to coir .. in the care sheet it says not to use coco coir or coco peat

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have tried both but I think the tortoise enjoys more in the coir and is more active in coir I switched back to orchid bark but I was planning on switching to coir
Entirely up to you I found coir was too messy getting in the water and food but better than soil. It also depends what you have available to purchase. Also dampen the substrate but not saturated to provide some humidity for smooth shell growth.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Entirely up to you I found coir was too messy getting in the water and food but better than soil. It also depends what you have available to purchase. Also dampen the substrate but not saturated to provide some humidity for smooth shell growth.
So I can use coco coir right ? The picture I provided below is whats available

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_020128_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403_020128_Google.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0