What do you do when you go away for a few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My baby tort is 4 mos. old. I am wondering what others do when going away for a few days. Do I need a pet sitter?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
It depends how long you are gone for.. if it's like 1-3 days I wouldn't worry too too much about it, just make sure the water bowl is filled before going and a full bowl of food. However for long periods say a week... I would find someone to either stop by and drop in some greens or take it to someone to look after it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mao Senpai said:
It depends how long you are gone for.. if it's like 1-3 days I wouldn't worry too too much about it, just make sure the water bowl is filled before going and a full bowl of food. However for long periods say a week... I would find someone to either stop by and drop in some greens or take it to someone to look after it.

Thanks. What kind of food would you leave in the dish? The greens seem to dry out pretty much. Any food suggestions that would hold up for say 3 days?

Microtrumpet said:
when I travel from Maine to New Jersey to visit my family I got a big plastic bin, I know its not as big as he needs but for the little amount of time we are here it provides a nice little encloser. :) just a thought

Thanks That's what I plan to do when I can. For this trip I have to fly so can't take him with me. Wish I could.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
There's a few options... if you plan in advance say like a week or two, you can get those jiffy planters from lowes or home depot for like 2-4 dollars and grow some tortoise mix or grass mix in it just don't use any fertilizer or anything, they usually grow to a full head of grass in about 5-7 days with the carolina tortoise mix I used. This is the cleanest and better idea since the tort eats what it wants and it continues to grow for a bit. But I've learned to dump it as soon as it's done... it can grow bugs depending. Or just throw a bunch of greens in there as a last resort hehe with maybe an automatic mister... They can go for a day or two without food but yeah... even when the greens are dried they will still eat them but it's a messy way of doing things. I've just thrown in a bunch of spring mix for 2-3 days trip. For 5+ days I just leave it with a friend. They are quiet hardy as long as they don't get dehydrated.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mao Senpai said:
There's a few options... if you plan in advance say like a week or two, you can get those jiffy planters from lowes or home depot for like 2-4 dollars and grow some tortoise mix or grass mix in it just don't use any fertilizer or anything, they usually grow to a full head of grass in about 5-7 days with the carolina tortoise mix I used. This is the cleanest and better idea since the tort eats what it wants and it continues to grow for a bit. But I've learned to dump it as soon as it's done... it can grow bugs depending. Or just throw a bunch of greens in there as a last resort hehe with maybe an automatic mister... They can go for a day or two without food but yeah... even when the greens are dried they will still eat them but it's a messy way of doing things. I've just thrown in a bunch of spring mix for 2-3 days trip. For 5+ days I just leave it with a friend. They are quiet hardy as long as they don't get dehydrated.

Thanks for the planting idea. It is awhile before I go away so it should grow by then. Think I will finally go and buy that reptifogger I've been thinking about too. Appreciate your ideas Mao.

Status
Not open for further replies.