What do I do?

jardajaros

Location (City and/or State)
Czech Republic
I have a couple of Hermanns tortoises. I have made 2 enclosures for them, outside and inside.The one in question is about 2 years old. I have always noticed that she doesn’t like to come out much in both enclosers, always just thought she’s just slow/sleepy. About two days ago I noticed that her shell is soft in the lower areas and is a little malformed, so I started giving her more calcium and making sure she eats and basks as much as possible. All of the other tortoises have healthy shells. I don’t think it’s shell rot. Is there something else I can do? Any tips will be very much appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Calcium requires UVB in order to do its job inside the tortoise's body. UVB comes from either the sun or a GOOD UVB light. What type light are you using indoors?

Also, tortoises are not herd-type animals. They are solitary, and it's quite stressful on them to be forced into a 'pair' situation. Stress can lower the immune system and cause all kinds of other health problems.

Set this tortoise up in its own enclosure, get a GOOD UVB light, and read our care sheet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a couple of Hermanns tortoises. I have made 2 enclosures for them, outside and inside.The one in question is about 2 years old. I have always noticed that she doesn’t like to come out much in both enclosers, always just thought she’s just slow/sleepy. About two days ago I noticed that her shell is soft in the lower areas and is a little malformed, so I started giving her more calcium and making sure she eats and basks as much as possible. All of the other tortoises have healthy shells. I don’t think it’s shell rot. Is there something else I can do? Any tips will be very much appreciated
Hello and welcome. Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. This will tell you what you need to do to save this one and get it healthy:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post pictures of her and the enclosures so we can better help with what is wrong.

jardajaros

Czech Republic
Calcium requires UVB in order to do its job inside the tortoise's body. UVB comes from either the sun or a GOOD UVB light. What type light are you using indoors?

Also, tortoises are not herd-type animals. They are solitary, and it's quite stressful on them to be forced into a 'pair' situation. Stress can lower the immune system and cause all kinds of other health problems.

Set this tortoise up in its own enclosure, get a GOOD UVB light, and read our care sheet.
Thanks a lot, I will try to find a good light and set up some kind of solitary encloser. Is it okay for them to live in groups of three? When I said couple I didn't actually mean a pair.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoise appears to have metabolic bone disease along with severe pyramiding.
If you have two tortoises then they need to be separated ASAP.
@Yvonne G can help more than I with MBD.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they were raised the exact same way, it likely does.
Separate them, get rid of the coil bulb it's bad for them and has no good uvb
Get them in the sunshine as often as the weather/temp permit and get a couple good uvb lights, tube florescent for each ones indoor enclosure.
Feed a good diet with lots of variety and add a pinch of calcium to the food 3 times a week.

jardajaros

Czech Republic
If they were raised the exact same way, it likely does.
Separate them, get rid of the coil bulb it's bad for them and has no good uvb
Get them in the sunshine as often as the weather/temp permit and get a couple good uvb lights, tube florescent for each ones indoor enclosure.
Feed a good diet with lots of variety and add a pinch of calcium to the food 3 times a week.
Okay. Thank you very much.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
But regarding sunshine make sure they have deep shade where they can go so they aren't forced in the sun.