Western Hermann's Availability

Kevingtin

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim, CA
Hello,
First time posting here so hopefully I'm in the correct thread group.
I'm looking to get a tortoise in the next 6 months or so and the western hermann's caught my eye. One thing I noticed is that they seem harder to come by than some of the other Mediterranean tortoises. I've got a reptile expo coming to town in July. But I'm not sure what to expect for availability. I see some websites sell them but I'm nervous shelling out the money they're asking just to have an eastern show up at my door.
So I guess the question is where do people usually get a western from? Are there breeders here which are recommended? Are they more common in the spring time?

islandtort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I honestly would not get one from an expo. While you might find one there, they’re probably not pure and you won’t know where it’s coming from, any diseases, health issues etc. I got mine from Garden State Tortoise. You can contact Chris via email from their website, they also run hermannihaven.com which is an incredible resource for hermanns. All of his westerns are pure and you can even choose which locale you want one from. For example mine is a western with dna 100% from Apulia, Italy. He’s gotten his tortoises genetically tested so you know exactly what you’re getting with an incredible blood line.