Welcome to the family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa CA
We got a new tortoise yesterday. He's alittle pickie but he's awesome! He's about ten because he had the belly dip thing, but he's 116 pounds and he's huge! I sat on him yesterday. We named him leonardo! Althought leon doesn't like are other tortoise raphiel, who's male, so they tried fighting.
Leonardo tried getting into raphiel's dog house and raph was not happy what so ever, then the neighbors dogs desided to make him mad, so he tried buldozing threw are fence, but we stopped him and so, we put boards of wood infront of the fence to make sure he didn't see anything beyond the fence, so he's all good now.
Leonardo loves to sleep in this one corner though, between are many old washing machines and driers and are fence, he's so cute~! I'll get a picture as soon as I can(When I'm not riding on his back XD)!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like you are in for quite the challenge.. be prepared for seperating and buliding better fencing... they are very determined and can be very destructive....
how large of an area do you have?

you have a sulcata with the desert tort? Not a good idea... the sulcata can injure or kill the DT and even make each other sick... different 'germs'....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like said, the two tortoises can not be housed together. Also, I am not real sure about this one. But unless you are like maybe an average weight 5 year old or younger, I am not sure they should really be ridden on. That's not really what they were built for. Horses were built for that. However, see what others say. It just would never happen with my tort.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
A very excited animal lover!

Deserts are separate from sulcata

waiting to see where sulcata settles on our 1/2 acre

Fencing being fixed, reinforced

No worries

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Yeah, what my dad said, hey wait! Get back to work lazy XD! But yeah, he's right. They were seperated last night as soon as leo tried to move the house raph sleeps in. And he's huge. Dad! Post the pic of leo compared to the five gallon drum!

Sorry for the double post, but I got a pic of leo.

Attachments

• IMG-20120815-00369.jpg
    IMG-20120815-00369.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 65

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Ashleigh B said:
Yeah, what my dad said, hey wait! Get back to work lazy XD! But yeah, he's right. They were seperated last night as soon as leo tried to move the house raph sleeps in. And he's huge. Dad! Post the pic of leo compared to the five gallon drum!

Sorry for the double post, but I got a pic of leo.

Leo -- 10 year old Sulcata tortoise weighing in at 116lbs (previous owners couldn't care for him any longer)

Absolute sweetheart. First few days he helped me test the 1/2 acre fencing and was sure to point out the weak spots lol which have all been fixed

We all love going out to see him through out the day. After I come home from work I do my rounds, stopping at our enclosures and saying hi to our CDT's and then ending up in the back with Leo. He is very active when it is cooler, in the early morning and then again in the evening -- he has developed a nice routine that you can set your watch too.

His first meal with us
2012-08-16160721.jpg
2012-08-14173417.jpg
2012-08-14173355.jpg

He is a big boy that is for sure
2012-08-14172952.jpg
2012-08-14172941.jpg
2012-08-14172401.jpg
2012-08-14172308.jpg
2012-08-14171657.jpg

**Items used are for size comparison only**

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Do you know what happened to the shell? I saw that part of the covering on the shell is coming off, is that normal? I don't remember seeing other shells on other tortoises like that. Your tortoise looks happy. Congratulations:)!

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Wow he looks great! Im jealous haha i hope my tortoises come out like him, im hoping they come out smoother too even though that one has a great shell despite the slight pyramiding, but im still jealous lol he looks pretty great so good luck friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.