Weeds!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
First off I went through a lot of pain and sweat to get these weeds :p I rode my bike, what felt like across the state, to my local park to get them because I know they do not spray or use any chemicals. Here is a little tip when your bike has a flat tire it does not make the bike ride faster or easier :p But I love Chevy that much :D
here are some pics if one is bad tell me thanks :D
033.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_NcuiKxJ3Lww/TNHh_2Y-fyI/AAAAAAAAAnc/SEJb56PIdKU/s912/036.JPG
037.JPG

038.JPG

041.JPG

039.JPG

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
I know nothing about plants. I just wanted to comment that I enjoy your dedication. The things we won't do for these torts. You ride your bike 23-miles uphill, both ways, in the sweltering heat. And I have a handfull of opuntia glocchids. (Thanks Tom for the new word!)

H

Harrison jess

I alos have not so experience about the plants but these pics looking really awesome but i dont think that these are bad at all..
and i appreciate your craze to have this plant

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dont feed it if it cant be Id'd as safe...
buy some pansie seeds or plants, grass seed or that mix from Carolina, and plant it. that way you KNOW its safe.
Lettuce seed is good to.

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
I live in FL an that first weed grows in very lagre spots all over my yeard. I have no idea what it is however... been trying to find out for awhile.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Ummmm... Where did half this post go? Pretty sure some good advise was given from people that raise the same species?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
O.K. this is crazy, I think Ive posted this a couple of times on Marty 333 threads if you dont want me to post to your thread write your subject and include onarock "dont reply". there is a site called africantortise.com, on the site there is a section called edible landscape. If you have not checked it out then do so, if you have then great. Instead of riding my bike across the Great State of Florida to pick some plants out of the ground and then come on the forum and ask people to identify them after they have just made the cross state journey on what sounds like the worlds slowest bike in a backpack or your hands, I would just identify the plants that they can and should eat from africantortoise.com and look for them in my yard, neighborhood or cross state park. If you want to go the other rout, well good on you and I'm sure your cardio and heart will love you for it. There are a number of plant I.D. tools that work for your area (I just looked a couple up) and maybe they can be of some assistance.
Aloha

ROCK

Marty333

10 Year Member!
onarock said:
O.K. this is crazy, I think Ive posted this a couple of times on Marty 333 threads if you dont want me to post to your thread write your subject and include onarock "dont reply". there is a site called africantortise.com, on the site there is a section called edible landscape. If you have not checked it out then do so, if you have then great. Instead of riding my bike across the Great State of Florida to pick some plants out of the ground and then come on the forum and ask people to identify them after they have just made the cross state journey on what sounds like the worlds slowest bike in a backpack or your hands, I would just identify the plants that they can and should eat from africantortoise.com and look for them in my yard, neighborhood or cross state park. If you want to go the other rout, well good on you and I'm sure your cardio and heart will love you for it. There are a number of plant I.D. tools that work for your area (I just looked a couple up) and maybe they can be of some assistance.
Aloha

ROCK

Well I found out some names of the weeds but they are not in the toxic list or the regular list so thats why I have to post some weed questions. Also If I need the identification of the weeds that website isn't going to help much until I find out what they are. I have nothing against your replies but that website doesn't have all the answers for me. I'm sorry if you thought I was being snotty or ignoring you. I didn't mean to come off that way.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Marty333 said:
Yeah I think thats it!!

Its called wedelia and from what I have learned its supposed to toxic to tortoises. I have it in my yard outside of my tortoise pens. I had one of my large tortoises out of her pen and I caught her eating it. No side effects that I could tell. The post that I read about its toxicity said toxic in large quantitys, but I dont chance it and I wouldnt give to a hatchling

Marty333

10 Year Member!
onarock said:
Marty333 said:
Yeah I think thats it!!

Its called wedelia and from what I have learned its supposed to toxic to tortoises. I have it in my yard outside of my tortoise pens. I had one of my large tortoises out of her pen and I caught her eating it. No side effects that I could tell. The post that I read about its toxicity said toxic in large quantitys, but I dont chance it and I wouldnt give to a hatchling

yeah i didnt feed it to him because a lot of plants with that kind of flower seem to be toxic

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
onarock said:
O.K. this is crazy, I think Ive posted this a couple of times on Marty 333 threads if you dont want me to post to your thread write your subject and include onarock "dont reply".
ROCK

It sounds like some of the posts in this thread have been deleted. It was probably an accident, and I know FOR SURE that it WASN'T Marty. I don't know what happened, but lets just all try again, huh?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
emys its all good, I think if you check the previous 3 posts between marty333 and I, I think weve moved on. -r-

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I recognize several of those weeds and our torotises eat them, even hatchlings, and we have never had a problem. Ours have even eaten peper hedge. My biggest concern is getting anything that could be contaminated with sprays.

Status
Not open for further replies.