Weeds found in my front yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
Was wondering if anyone knows what these are. Didnt find anything I recognized on all the lists. thanks
DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2905.jpg

DSCN2906.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
#1 is fillaree - edible and nutritious

I don't know about the others, but I think that last one is some sort of mustard, but not sure. My animals don't eat it.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Here are more... they grow every rainy season but not where the torts can get to.
DSCN2907.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2911.jpg

And is this cactus okay for them. It was a cutting I got but I dont really like it. If they shouldnt eat it, I'm yanking it.
DSCN2909.jpg

thanks

emysemys said:
#1 is fillaree - edible and nutritious

I don't know about the others, but I think that last one is some sort of mustard, but not sure. My animals don't eat it.

Thank you Yvonne. I pulled some of things that I knew are okay for them but they would rather graze it than eat what I pull up for them. All these weeds are growing on the side of the house in the front. I'm thinking of blocking it off and taking them out there for a little grazing but want to make sure there isnt something I should pull 1st.
I'll let some of the fillaree go to seed and try to plant that in the back. I get a lot of that in the front after a good rain. I've always let it grow because of the little wild flowers. My front is desert scape and I try to let it grow natural .... then de-scruff when they die out. I get all kinds of cool little wild flowers out there.

Oh and I forgot to ask .... Are ANY rose petals okay for them? Moe loves them, Kona will eat a little but not like Moe does.

Hmm ... lost my post, must of clicked on the wrong thing. Anyway ... another question- Are ANY rose petals okay for the torts? Moe loves them. Cant remember the exact names but I'm sure they are tagged somewhere.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In post #1:
#1 is fillaree (Like Yvonne already said)
#2 Don't know. Almost looks like Hawksbeard.
#3 is ragweed. Mine won't eat it and some people are very allergic to it.

In post #3:
#1 is fillaree again. Good stuff
#2 I think that's Hawksbeard
Don't know #3.

Your cactus is spineless Opuntia and its VERY good for them. Don't pull it! Water it in the summer, that stuff is good as gold.

Rose petals are fine as part of a mixed varied diet. So are the leaves. Just make sure it is new growth off of a long established rose bush. Anything out of a nursery will be laden with pesticides and fertilizers. They need at least 3 months of heavy watering, rinsing and outdoor "weathering", before I'll feed out the new growth only.

Since we are on the subject. Grape, hibiscus, rose of sharon and mulberry leaves are all great too.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
My little ones LOVE grape leaves! LOVE, love, love them!

Home Depot has grape vines and bare root roses right now. Pretty cheap. This way you don't have to worry what has been used on a rose bush. My torties seem to like roses with a smell and the new red leaf growth. They are disinterested in ones that don't smell.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Tom said:
In post #1:
#1 is fillaree (Like Yvonne already said)
#2 Don't know. Almost looks like Hawksbeard.
#3 is ragweed. Mine won't eat it and some people are very allergic to it.

In post #3:
#1 is fillaree again. Good stuff
#2 I think that's Hawksbeard
Don't know #3.

Your cactus is spineless Opuntia and its VERY good for them. Don't pull it! Water it in the summer, that stuff is good as gold.

Rose petals are fine as part of a mixed varied diet. So are the leaves. Just make sure it is new growth off of a long established rose bush. Anything out of a nursery will be laden with pesticides and fertilizers. They need at least 3 months of heavy watering, rinsing and outdoor "weathering", before I'll feed out the new growth only.

Since we are on the subject. Grape, hibiscus, rose of sharon and mulberry leaves are all great too.

Thanks ... my roses are well established, I just give the petals towards the end of their life. I'm selfish... "I" want to enjoy them 1st. And for the weeds ... I'm going to let them graze it. Its a feast for them. And alright, sigh ... I'll keep the cactus. I thought it was Opuntia but there are other types I guess that have a more rounded leaf. I like the look of those. I'm surrounded by Opuntia, Hibiscus and Aloe, between my neighbors and I. I think I'll find a place to grow grapes but 1st I want to make some grazing areas for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.