Waking Up Brumation

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all,
We have had a couple of warmer days in the UK, and Tabby has started to move around in her hibernation box. She has only turned herself around a couple of times, so not fully awake. Although the weather is going to dip again slightly over the next week.

Firstly, should I take her out of brumation now? I know it will not be good for her to go back to sleep at this late stage, but she has not fully woken up.

Secondly, I have always used a combi heat and uv lamp for her. Would it be better to get a seperate uv lamp? I read a thread a couple of weeks ago, can't remember which one though, that a separate lamp would be better. She has a room in the house all to herself for when the weather is a bit cold, so with the heating on, will she still need a heat lamp?

I have a couple of days off work this week, so I can soak her and get her hydration levels back up.

She does spend the spring / summer in the garden (except at night), so just to make sure she has everything she needs while it warms up.

Info: Tabby is a mediterranean spur thigh, about 84 years old. We have had her for 5 years and we are still learning/ researching to make sure she keeps going for quite a few more years 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
We have had a couple of warmer days in the UK, and Tabby has started to move around in her hibernation box. She has only turned herself around a couple of times, so not fully awake. Although the weather is going to dip again slightly over the next week.

Firstly, should I take her out of brumation now? I know it will not be good for her to go back to sleep at this late stage, but she has not fully woken up.

Secondly, I have always used a combi heat and uv lamp for her. Would it be better to get a seperate uv lamp? I read a thread a couple of weeks ago, can't remember which one though, that a separate lamp would be better. She has a room in the house all to herself for when the weather is a bit cold, so with the heating on, will she still need a heat lamp?

I have a couple of days off work this week, so I can soak her and get her hydration levels back up.

She does spend the spring / summer in the garden (except at night), so just to make sure she has everything she needs while it warms up.

Info: Tabby is a mediterranean spur thigh, about 84 years old. We have had her for 5 years and we are still learning/ researching to make sure she keeps going for quite a few more years 😊
Warmer weather outside should have nothing to do with the temperature controlled brumation area wherever your tortoise is. If it does, there is a problem.

I would not take the tortoise out of brumation this early in the season, especially if the weather is not going to cooperate. I would make sure the brumation temps stay cold and constant until the weather warms up in spring and you've got some sunny days in a row, or an indoor area with the correct heating and lighting.

Read these for all the correct info on heating and lighting:

And more info on brumation here:

A room in a house is not a good place for a tortoise, unless that room has been made into a tortoise enclosure. It is too cold down on the floor, and yes, the tortoise will need a heat lamp.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Warmer weather outside should have nothing to do with the temperature controlled brumation area wherever your tortoise is. If it does, there is a problem.

I would not take the tortoise out of brumation this early in the season, especially if the weather is not going to cooperate. I would make sure the brumation temps stay cold and constant until the weather warms up in spring and you've got some sunny days in a row, or an indoor area with the correct heating and lighting.

Read these for all the correct info on heating and lighting:

And more info on brumation here:

A room in a house is not a good place for a tortoise, unless that room has been made into a tortoise enclosure. It is too cold down on the floor, and yes, the tortoise will need a heat lamp.
Thanks. She is in the garage, but we will be getting a fridge for next time. The room is just for colder days, empty (no furniture etc) so she won't get hurt on anything, a large box in the corner with soil and her combi lamp, food and water trays etc.
I have read some of your posts previously, but will read them again.
I will leave her then until she fully wakes up when it gets warmer.