Wait, I haven't fed mushrooms yet!!!! OMG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It was starting out like any ordinary day. It was cloudy out so the dogs and cats were sleeping in (sorta), Ash ( my daughter) had come for the night, so things were moving slow. Fed the outside animals and came into the frig to get a cold drink of tea. Looked over at my Erosa (the ones from TSA) and saw something white at the far back corner, which is were all three normally hang out a lot. My mind said, "well you guys didn't eat all your mushroms last night, did you?", then it clicked. "Those can't be mushrooms!". I moved closer and lifted the lid. "OMG! OMG!!! Egggs!!!!" Calmly, okay with no calmness at all and wanting to shout at the top of my lungs, I found the flashlight to get a really clear view of the far back. "Yeapers them be eggs!" :D Now panic starts to really set in, as thoughts of how in the heck do I work with these eggs? rolled around in my poor brain.

I decided, I need to take them out for safety and then ask a few hingeback friends once more, for their ideas and then go from there. (We all know I am good at getting eggs, but have horrible luck keeping them and actually coming up with hatchlings.) So I fix an empty ice cream carton that was sitting on the counter with some fresh substrate, mimicking how the adults are kept. I slowly lift out the eggs, which are only half buried. One, two, three, four, and wait a second what am I seeing now? A broken egg... but that's not all. There is another nest down there! A few weeks back, I had dug up this area thinking perhaps the one female had laid eggs. She had been acting strange and I feared I was seeing the first stages of decline. This scares me with any tortoise, especially a hingeback, but even worse with this group, as they are TSA tortoises. *gulp* At the time I found no eggs and in a few days the female was back to normal, much to my relief.

So I prepare another ice cream carton (knew when I saved them from last summer I would find a use for them! :D ). Even more slowly, I carefully remove the next bunch. One, two, three and finally a fourth one. :D !!!

So in the writing of this, I have calmed down, breathing is back to normal, and I am not feeling like hanging off the roof top screaming the news.

The Easter Tortoise loves me and he came early!!!! ... okay NOW I feel better. :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Congrats! Good luck with them!

Question: what is a TSA tortoise? pardon me for missing that memo

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's excellent! Now let's hope you can make something happen with them. Fingers crossed...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
Congrats! Good luck with them!

Question: what is a TSA tortoise? pardon me for missing that memo

TSA (Turtle Survival Alliance) some times places turtles and tortoises with their members. Some are direct gifts or sold. Some like these, are in a partnership. For example like with these Erosa, they got a group of I think it was 4.8 adults. They sent out requests for folks interested in them to apply for them. From there they chose four folks, they thought would have a good chance with them. This way if something bad were to happen, not all the groups would be exposed to it. I was one of the ones chosen (still not sure how I managed that). So these animals are not mine, just in my care. If the eggs become hatchlings, then we split them.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
That is great news! Way to go with the icecream containers. Room temps seem the way to go. You may want to cover the eggs in moist spaghnum moss, then mist the moss when it starts to dry. I am using this method for both erosa and homeana eggs. Fingers crossed I think both species are developing.:tort:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Benjamin said:
That is great news! Way to go with the icecream containers. Room temps seem the way to go. You may want to cover the eggs in moist spaghnum moss, then mist the moss when it starts to dry. I am using this method for both erosa and homeana eggs. Fingers crossed I think both species are developing.:tort:

See that is exactly what I was planning on going with. Just am double checking with others like you, in case somebody has better ideas. Wouldn't that be so great, if we could both get hatchling Erosa this year! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great news, Jacqui! I hope it goes as planned.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
Benjamin said:

See that is exactly what I was planning on going with. Just am double checking with others like you, in case somebody has better ideas. Wouldn't that be so great, if we could both get hatchling Erosa this year! :D
Fingers crossed, it is about time for cb kinixys. IMO seems that kinixys want to develop slowly, and also they seem sensitive to heavy moisture.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sensitive in what way to moisture?

I know of two folks who got hatchlings within the last year, but we certainly need to be lots more happening.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Jacqui said:
Sensitive in what way to moisture?

I know of two folks who got hatchlings within the last year, but we certainly need to be lots more happening.

Being kept too wet.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Congrats Jacqui!! I see that Terry hasn't chimed in yet..wonder how his eggs are doing.

Sending good thoughts your way for those eggs. Good luck.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.