Virtual vets

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never used them and personally wouldn't trust them. Not much can be seen over or explained enough over virtual. I think they just charge you a vet visit, say a few words that might sound good and then refer you to see a vet anyway. Now you have two vet expenses instead of one.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Never used them and personally wouldn't trust them. Not much can be seen over or explained enough over virtual. I think they just charge you a vet visit, say a few words that might sound good and then refer you to see a vet anyway. Now you have two vet expenses instead of one.
I get that. I've been chatting with a lady whose baby sulcata has a clear case of sepsis going on. The nearest vet is 2 hours away and can't see it until Wednesday.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get that. I've been chatting with a lady whose baby sulcata has a clear case of sepsis going on. The nearest vet is 2 hours away and can't see it until Wednesday.
Something as clear as that may be an exception, as long as they are knowledgeable to know what it is and willing to prescribe meds.
But if they are going to just say what it is and that it needs to see a vet, and not prescribe meds and treatment, then it's still a waste of time and money.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess it's a try it and see situation. If they only prescribe a vet visit, then don't use them again. If they will actually prescribe meds and a treatment plan, then it might be worth it.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Something as clear as that may be an exception, as long as they are knowledgeable to know what it is and willing to prescribe meds.
But if they are going to just say what it is and that it needs to see a vet, and not prescribe meds and treatment, then it's still a waste of time and money.
Right. Was wondering if they're anything like tele-docs that can actually call in a prescription. Given the condition, I don't think it would be wise to wait. Rock vs. hard place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they can and will call in a prescription is the only reason they should even be considered.
I'm sure some how they should be able to find that out before commiting to the virtual visit.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
If they can and will call in a prescription is the only reason they should even be considered.
I'm sure some how they should be able to find that out before commiting to the virtual visit.
I'm hearing that some states will not allow virtual vets to call in prescriptions. Oklahoma is one. In that case, they're nothing more than a referral service.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If I owned a virtual tortoise, sure I would consider seeing a virtual vet! Just kidding. Seriously, I wish it could work, but I fear there is just too much dishonesty and greed out there.😕

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Anyone had experience with virtual vets? I see quite a few people with limited or no access to a tortoise vet. Wondering if such a service would be worth it?
I used them once for my leopard gecko, Terrible service, and my mom had to wait about a week until they responded and we barely got any information. They didn't even ask for a picture of the gecko and how our enclosure was set up :(. Not sure if I just chose the wrong virtual vet but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I used them once for my leopard gecko, Terrible service, and my mom had to wait about a week until they responded and we barely got any information. They didn't even ask for a picture of the gecko and how our enclosure was set up :(. Not sure if I just chose the wrong virtual vet but I wouldn't recommend it.
Very helpful. Thanx!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Right. Was wondering if they're anything like tele-docs that can actually call in a prescription. Given the condition, I don't think it would be wise to wait. Rock vs. hard place.
I think most human doctors understand human ailments and human physiology. (TELE-DOCS)
But most animal doctors know little to nothing about tortoise at all. And few will admit it.
I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison to be honest.