Vet is suggestion a Mouth smear & getting blood count how important are these?

Chuckd

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello

I am going to take my tortoise for his yearly check up. The vet is suggestion a mouth Smear and a blood count. Are these needed or is this something i can hold off on. My tortoise has been healthy over the past year. One problem is I moved 30 plus miles away and i cant really do multiple visits with the vet. I might try to find a different one closer but i do like the vet i am using. so any info on how important those are to do would be much appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A whole lot of us that have had tortoises for years, some decades, never take our tortoises to a vet unless it is very sick or injured
Save the money and don't take him at all unless he is sick. Even then, come here first as many here can help with home remedies.
So, no, they are not needed and neither is the yearly check up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello

I am going to take my tortoise for his yearly check up. The vet is suggestion a mouth Smear and a blood count. Are these needed or is this something i can hold off on. My tortoise has been healthy over the past year. One problem is I moved 30 plus miles away and i cant really do multiple visits with the vet. I might try to find a different one closer but i do like the vet i am using. so any info on how important those are to do would be much appreciated.
Why does the vet want to do these things? Is there a problem that they see that they are trying to diagnose? If the tortoise is eating well and behaving normally, I see no reason to run either test. Both will cost money and be stressful for the tortoise, for no good reason.