Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
My two hatchling leopards are doing well. My wife wants to go camping fot 5 days. Is there anything I can do to keep the torts happy? I have no one to look after them. I would rather stay home anyway, but just would like some suggestions!
Thanks, Kevin

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
myrtle651 said:
My two hatchling leopards are doing well. My wife wants to go camping fot 5 days. Is there anything I can do to keep the torts happy? I have no one to look after them. I would rather stay home anyway, but just would like some suggestions!
Thanks, Kevin

This is not ideal but I tried it before successfully:
1. Dip your hatchlings in water for few mins before you leave
2. Plant some live vegetable plants on the enclosure so they can eat - for me I purchased butter lettuce that still have the roots in it from a local market so it can last longer.
3. When you 're back dip them again to make sure they're hydrated.

Also as a precaution make sure that there's nothing in the enclosure that can trip your hatchlings upside down.

My friend left his tortoises for 5 days without food and there's no problem, but I haven't tried that myself though so I won't recommend it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would in no circumstance leave hatchlings (I assume under 1 year old?) alone for 5 days. You either need to have someone check on them or take them to someone's house to be watched. Once my tort was older than a year, no more flipping issues, and I extra babyproofed his enclosure, I felt comfortable leaving him for two nights at a time max. Ultimately it is your call to make, but since you asked here I assume you were already wary of it. The time without food isn't the issue. Its the dehydration, potential of flipping over, potential of heat burning out or overheating, health issues, and generally that hatchlings are fragile. If it was adult torts I'd actually say go for it, and that would be the max time away I'd suggest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take them with you. Try to figure out how to provide heat and take them with you.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
emysemys said:
Take them with you. Try to figure out how to provide heat and take them with you.

Thanks, this is what I will do. We are not going to next month, so it will be warmer. I can alway put the heat on in the trailer at night. Will be in Northern California.

DEVILDOG

5 Year Member
I am on vacation right now. In VA and I have my two with me.:) Not that big of a deal.

Napa Valley Tortoise

5 Year Member
I'm taking my 4 year old Leopard Tortoise camping in the Sierra's with me. Anyone know about a Leopard Tortoise getting altitute sickness? We will be at 4,900 elevation. Will keep him in a box with hay at night and I have an X Pen for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.