UV light options- too many choices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I am trying to figure out which would be the best UV light for my 3' x 4' indoor Hermann's winter enclosure. My enclosure is 18" tall, but once I add 4 inches of substrate, there will be 14 inches from tortoise-level to enclosure top.

I had NO IDEA there would be so many options!!! "Desert" or "Forest" or "High output" etc. I am looking at the Arcadia lights on Light Your Reptiles because I read good reviews on ARcadia, but am open to ANY ideas. Experience is more useful than corporate hype. Suggestions???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the mvb. Heat, light and UVA/UVB all in one light. Suppose to give out the best uv available. Then I use a CHE for night time heat. No light, just heat.

BTW, I like the zoomed power sun mvb

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
I second the mvb I like the UV and heat combo but I found that it wasn't enough to light up my enclosure. it was too dim so I added a fluorescent tube light. you can choose a uv one but I had an old one used for indoor plants that I found in the garage. it definitely made the enclosure brighter.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm thinking of doing an MVB alongside a tube-light for the plants. Are plant-tube lights bad for their eyes or ok? I plan on having quite a few plants and figure it will diffuse the light some for her, but still enable the plants to thrive.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
No experience with Testudo (or whatever the new genus is), but I personally like the tube florescent bulbs (Repti-Sun 5.0 or 10.0 by Zoomed) for UV lighting, and a CHE for heat.

MVBs work well in some enclosures for small tortoises, as well.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have had arcadia for awhile now, and I like them. I see more activity under these than I did under mvb's.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
RosieRedfoot said:
I'm thinking of doing an MVB alongside a tube-light for the plants. Are plant-tube lights bad for their eyes or ok? I plan on having quite a few plants and figure it will diffuse the light some for her, but still enable the plants to thrive.

nothing points to anything bad from the research that ive done.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Plant lights do not do anything helpful for tortoises- they are just lights that are tuned to emit more of certain colors- usually reds and blues- but we really want a balanced white for healthy eye development. Besides- food looks funny under unbalanced light.

I prefer to use a low-UVB output, low-wattage long-version fluorescent bulb for lighting and UVB, and ceramic heat emitters,e tc. for heat. This way, I can more easily regulate them separately. If you use an MVB and it is too warm, you move it up- and weaken the UVB emission, etc. Also- my way, if one thing goes bad, I just replace that part and the tort is not at risk in the meantime. If the MVB goes bad, you loose light, heat AND uvb until you replace it.

But- there are many ways to get to the goals you have! https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
I also use ceramic bulbs for heating and T8 tubes for lighting. My setup is a single 5.0 UVB bulb and a single Verilux for full spectrum lighting. Light looks beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.