Usain Bolt not eating much

amenezes

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance, CA
Hello all I live in SoCal by the beach, Bolt lives outside in an enclosure and I made a part of the enclosure closed up and he has heat around 80F all day and night. During the day I turn on a basking lamp for him, however despite this, he is not showing much interest in food, wants to be buried all day. In the days that have been quite warm (over 70F) the past weeks, he will get out and I let him graze for a bit, but he will quickly find a place to bury himself and if he eats, he eats very little. Since this is our first winter together, and he's already ~20 years old, could it be that even though he's warm, he still wants to brumate (I don't know his history)? I don't really have room for an indoors setup so I am wondering what to do. I'm worried he's been going a few weeks with very little food. My original plan was to keep him warm like this throughout the winter but I'm worried now. Should I just turn the lamps off and let him sleep, then put him in the fridge? I am so scared about that. I appreciate your ideas. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep the enclosure warm all day at least 80 with a basking of 95-100 and keep the nights at least 70-75. Also have lights on for 12-14 hours.
I am guessing this is a Russian?
Warmer day and night temps and longer light hours keeps mine up.
He will eat less but doesn't sleep all day and does eat every day.

amenezes

Torrance, CA
After all I wrote I forgot to say it's a Russian? LOL yes! It is. I also did some more digging and I think what it's missing is the longer hours of lighting. I am adjusting and hope he'll perk up soon. Thank you!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
After all I wrote I forgot to say it's a Russian? LOL yes! It is. I also did some more digging and I think what it's missing is the longer hours of lighting. I am adjusting and hope he'll perk up soon. Thank you!
If he's been eating, even a little, you can't let him brumate until he's cleared his gut out so food doesn't rot & kill him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good luck with Usain Bolt. I like the name.