Updated Tortoise Enclosure

G_Vincey

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all,

So I recently decided to upgrade Theo's enclosure and this is the end product..

And I realise this may upset people but I have used Polystyrene perishable boxes.. My reasons for using this is because it's cheap (free from work) and I could make it any size/shape I wanted to..

Originally I wanted a plastic storage container but the biggest I could find was the size of one of these poly boxes (which he was previously in) so I could not really upgrade the size using a plastic storage box.. The ramp is made from 1/2 a tube of what contained rolled plastic sheets (like what's in the middle of a toilet paper roll except much bigger and stronger)

As you will see, I have taped the inside so he can't scratch at the poly and deform it..

Also, you may think it's a health risk as he could eat the bits, but I ensure you that he has no interest in eating the poly and none of it has become loose for him to do so either.. Additionally, he has been in here for a week, and I have yet to encounter any real problems.. Except for the temp under the upstairs which seems to be at 70*F, so possibly a little low.. The temps everywhere else are good..

So yeah, I just wanted to see what everyone thought and to see if there is anything I have overlooked.. If you see any problems or issues please feel free to mention them, but again I ensure you, I spot check all the time and he will not eat the poly, he has seen some on my floor when I let him roam and he forever ignores it as if it wasn't there..

I also realise that RT's are escape artists but he hasn't shown signs of trying to dig out through the poly. His substrate is rather deep (6-8 blocks of coconut coir)..

I will build him a custom made wooden tortoise table when I have the resources and time but until then, I figured this should be fine..

Finally, in his old enclosure he barely moved and it made me feel as though it was too small for him.. Another reason why I wanted to make it bigger and he seems to be more active then ever, so I'm guessing he likes it...

Anyway, here's the photos, enjoy..

Very first enclosure

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036787.621789.jpg

Old enclosure

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036719.661574.jpg

New enclosure

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036813.429748.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036829.469654.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036843.912798.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036857.036793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036872.866079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036886.234938.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036898.817357.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036910.920791.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036922.901449.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036935.073568.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402036946.038115.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice I like it. Such a great improvement from the first one. I can't tell by the pics, but I would make the water dish a little more level with the substrate if it isn't.

G_Vincey

London
Thank you.. I believe it is level.. Maybe where I use a flat slab to feed off and usually cover the edges with substrate just to make it blend in, it looks slightly lower...

Btw, your comment has raised a question, how do you and everybody else, prevent substrate going into the water dish?.. It's like as soon as I have put it down it seems to get dirty.. I was thinking of using some pet store pellets just to surround the dish (so only a couple) until I can get some stones.. Anyone have this problem?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have the same problem. Even I have the water dish on a up side down 12 x 12 inch tile. I just changing the water twice a day.

G_Vincey

London
When my water dish was smaller I had it on a tile.. Now the water dish I have is bigger than the tiles I have..

yillt

Lovely cage. I love it. Is the actual box made out of polystyrene.

G_Vincey

London
Lovely cage. I love it. Is the actual box made out of polystyrene.

Thank you.. Yeah they are made out of polystyrene, pretty firm and sturdy unless you add too much weight..
They also have lids which is useful.

I have changed it though, as the upstairs temp wouldn't raise above 70*F

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402071619.657096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402071662.544523.jpg

G_Vincey

London
Still love it. Where did you get those polystyrene boxes.

I got them from work for free as we have them in abundance.. They are also on eBay, "polystyrene boxes" or "fish transport boxes" although they range in price, I wouldn't recommend buying one for more then £5..

They do hold moisture extremely well though, as at work they are packed with ice and do not leak, although some have holes and obviously do leak..

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Keep an eye out. Things work until they don't. If he tries to climb, he could damage the walls & get pellets loose. The tape certainly helps.

G_Vincey

London
Keep an eye out. Things work until they don't. If he tries to climb, he could damage the walls & get pellets loose. The tape certainly helps.

You are certainly right.. I am going to tape the entires box soon to be honest.. I should have done it before..

And, I've noticed that, where the tape is brown and the substrate is brown, he walks into it as if he thinks it is the substrate.. So I need to change the colour of the tape..

Thank you for your input..