Updated Russian tortoise enclosure.

Tort1419

russian tortoise is hopefully coming on Wednesday. Do I need to change anything before he arrives. Also the light not pointing straight down is an incandescent bulb. Temps: warm side 75 to 90 basking 93-97 middle side 73 to 75 cool side is 71 to 73. Humidity: 50 and 70. Under huts and hideaways it's like 90. Night temp doesn't drop below 70. Again I have two bulbs one that is a 100 watt powersun. The other one is just an incandescent. Last time you guys mentioned more plants. I have decided to add random grass patches. Also someone mentioned a rose bush would look nice. I totally agree with them but I can't put a rose bush in there because it is too tall and I don't have one . The grass patches will be showing up in a couple of days. Lastly I am boiling some medium sized rocks the the Russian won't be able to eat. I will be putting some of those around later. By the way the pictures make it look darker than it actually is
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Looks good so far - how about some spider plants for ground cover and sight barriers to make it more interesting for the tort and to make him feel secure. They are tort safe and if you leave them in pots and bury those in the substrate you can easily swap them if over nibbled, but my tort rarely makes meal of them.
Are you part covering with plexiglass to keep humidity in?

Tort1419

No @Lyn W the humidity and heat are just maintained because that's the way my house is. Also I can't get any spider plants the ones at the store are sprayed with fertilizer. I do have some hostas i will be putting in there though. And what do you mean by slight barriers can you give me an example please

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No @Lyn the humidity and heat are just maintained because that's the way my house is. Also I can't get any spider plants the ones at the store are sprayed with fertilizer. I do have some hostad I will be putting in there though. And what do you mean by slight barriers can you give me an example please
Sight barriers - mean just something - like plants - to break up his horizons make him want to explore around them. Have a look at examples of other peoples enclosures to see what they have added for interest.
If you know anyone with spider plants you could pinch some of their baby shoots to grow organically, but there are plenty of other options I'm sure. Have you seen www.thetortoisetable.org.uk yet?

Tort1419

Yea @Lyn W I have been looking all over. I have decided to use large grass plants, and some hostas. Also maybe some tickseed, creeping Jenny, what I think is sphagnum, cat grass, and some sedum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yea @Lyn W I have been looking all over. I have decided to use large grass plants, and some hostas. Also maybe some tickseed, creeping Jenny, what I think is sphagnum, cat grass, and some sedum.
It's nigh on impossible to find safe plants in stores isn't it? I bought some a couple of months ago but repotted immediately, in fresh safe soil - and leaving them now until at least next spring.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yea I think I may get so that with some cacti and some succulents @Lyn W
Someone here said that tortoises make gardeners of us all - and its very true! Unfortunately I don't have green fingers so my success is very hit and miss, I'm hoping I have better luck with my dandies and weeds this year.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As long as the plants you use are tort safe and free of any chemicals etc I am sure your tort will really appreciate having somewhere to hide from 'predators' while he is settling in.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yep they are tort safe and chemical free. Thanks for all your help @Lyn W
You're welcome!
Don't forget the Caresheet , Enclosures and Beginners mistakes threads and the search facility are always here to help if no one is around when you're looking for ideas and answers etc. I learn something new everyday!
Good luck

Magilla504

If you can't find the right edible plants just use fake ones for hides. In my indoor enclosure I use some fake plants and it works great. I looked into it a lot and couldn't really come up with stories of fake plant eating torts....as long as their being fed the proper diet that is. I'm sure there is an exception or story out there though! Good luck