U.K's Oldest tort dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It's not like the fly laid eggs in the wound immediately. I'm sure vet attention could have been initiated sooner. Such a shame, but a cool story.

I always wonder about the validity of such claims on age. Notes wouldn't have been taken during ALL of that time, and surely a dead Thomas or two could have been replaced numerous times over the years. It would be so cool if he really had been there that long.

It doesn't say what species he was. Marginated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The article seemed to be talking about different species of tortoises. Started out talking about Thomas, then ended up talking about Aldabran tortoises from the Seychelle islands.

I remember Timmy tortoise from the UK too. He was very old, and had a sign attached via a hole in the edge of his carapace that he dragged around asking people to not pick him up. He was on the property of, I believe, a Duke's castle and was featured in a TV spot on reptiles narrated by Addenbury. I can't remember how old they said timmy was, but there was documentation on him and he was very old.

I found an article abou him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/3607053.stm

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yvonne G said:
The article seemed to be talking about different species of tortoises. Started out talking about Thomas, then ended up talking about Aldabran tortoises from the Seychelle islands.

I remember Timmy tortoise from the UK too. He was very old, and had a sign attached via a hold in the edge of his carapace that he dragged around asking people to not pick him up. He was on the property of, I believe, a Duke's castle and was featured in a TV spot on reptiles narrated by Addenbury. I can't remember how old they said timmy was, but there was documentation on him and he was very old.

Timothy is about 3 minutes in.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KWVHixpEQ[/video]

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Stupid rat... He seemed like a wonderful tortoise ... His owner must of been devastated. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.