typical behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got some great advice from Dan to change the substrate for my red foots to 1/2 spaghum moss and 1/2 soil. I misunderstood and got spaghum peat moss. About an hour and a half after I got it in, I realized it had fertilizer in it. I took them out and put regular peat moss in not realizing my mistake about the moss yet. The tortoises seemed happy and to enjoy the change in humidity. I realized my mistake while looking at redfoots.com and changed it again today for the LAST time, I hope for a while. So after the most recent change today, Ally who is in a different container, seems great! She's eating,hiding in the warm humid hide, seems normal. Stella, who is about 1/2 way through a round of antibiotics from an RI, has not eaten much yesterday and today, the day before,she ate mangoes when offered. When I put her back in her table after I put the correct moss in, she hid,and went to the humid hide and buried herself under the moss. She's also has had bubbly eyes off and on since I've gotten her a week and a half ago. SOOO... my questions are these. Could Stella just be stressed out by all the changes her stupid owner has made? Might she just be really enjoying the humidity and buried herself. Should I get her out later and put the food in front of her in case she comes out when I'm not around? Or should I just leave her alone to come out when she's ready. Sorry for all the crazy questions. You can only imagine how my kids' pediatrician must feel. Thanks in advance, Jennifer
ps the temps and humidity are as of this afternoon close to the normal ranges, humidity 75 to 80 percent and temps from 80-90.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
You're getting closer Jennifer,

Bubbly eyes usually means dry environment. All of that handling almost always puts stress on tortoises.. especially when being medicated.

Keep those temps and humidity where you said and read 'everything' written on Redfoots.com.. based on age/size of yours - then do it!

Keep us posted...

Terry K

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the encouragement Terry! With their lengths being 5-6" would I be looking at the yearling section on redfoots.com? That's what I've been looking at for diet. I've started them on the diet recommended there. If on the greens days they don't eat, do you go ahead and give them the fruit on the 3rd day? I really appreciate the information there. Concise and tells me exactly what to do! Thanks again! Jennifer

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
bluejen1313 said:
Thanks for the encouragement Terry! With their lengths being 5-6" would I be looking at the yearling section on redfoots.com? That's what I've been looking at for diet. I've started them on the diet recommended there. If on the greens days they don't eat, do you go ahead and give them the fruit on the 3rd day? I really appreciate the information there. Concise and tells me exactly what to do! Thanks again! Jennifer

You are welcome Jennifer - I do little.. take pics occasionally.. but I have raised a few redfoots - so my experience is that 5"-6" are usually about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. So feed only what they will eat in 15 minutes tops.. they should NEVER walk away from food! Once they have gotten used to their new diet they will eat all that is offered. It is better for them to be hungry than to be over-fed. In fact it never hurts to skip [ let them fast ] about every 4th day once they get the size of yours.. and stay on the same routine/schedule.

Terry K

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jennifer, also remember that a tort on meds often has a diminished appetite. It should pick up once he is well.
With the help of Terry K. Turtleltary.com and Redfoots.com I was able to rehab a little cherryhead that had MBD so bad she was unable to walk on her back legs. I thank my lucky stars daily for finding TFO, Redfoots.com and Turtletary.com. I have learned so much on all the sites and still learn more every day. Good luck with your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.