turtle polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Greetings All,

Are tortoises capable of much feeling through the carapace? When Tommy comes strolling by I reach out and start rubbing him down with a polishing motion, mainly over his anterior vertebral and pleural scutes, and he will park himself down and remain there as long as I continue.

Any else come across this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises seem to really like a carapace rub. Some will even do what Maggie calls the hootchie kootchie dance while you rub them. Yes, they can feel it.

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Tommy will just sit when the front of his shell is rubbed, and will do a hootchie kootchie when I rub the the posterior portion of his carapace. I wasn't sure if the amount of "hootchie" movement was a sign of displeasure or not. He will also wiggle his booty when I need to hose off his vent area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The "hootchie kootchie" dance is their way of saying "Hey! Get off of me. I don't want to be bred." Same way a male bullfrog will start croaking if you circle your thumb and forefinger around their waist.

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Thanks, I thought that was a "get off my back" message.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I try to clean RV's rear end with the hose and rubbing when she sits in poo and has a dirty bottom (what's a mom to do?). She is very abrupt with her 'hootchie kootchie' and will go so far as to plant herself on my hand - hard. ouch.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know about that Tom...I just can't remember the last time I tried to breed Bob but he loves to do a hootchie cootchie dance when I rub his carapace or hose off his carapace...he will also do that dance if he walks under a sprinkler...

Status
Not open for further replies.