Trying to climb onto his reflection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
So I've had my RT Hudson for a little over a month and he's just started doing this thing where it looks like he's trying to get onto his own reflection in his tank. I am planning to paint the lower half of the tank since I read that being able to see out through the glass causes them stress but this behavior in particular looks less like "help let me out" and more like "hey how you doin?" Anyone have similar behavior??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know what you mean and to me it's all still kinda the same thing. Is he seeing "the other tortoise" and thinking "Hi!" or thinking "I am going to chase you out of my area" or thinking "Hey look at all the area over there to explore". No matter what he is thinking, the result is the same. Sounds like yours might be a good candidate for the covering of the lower area of the tank.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
That's why I moved Sheldon into a custom wooden same reason enclosure.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
I can't really afford to get a new habitat right now so I will try to paint it and see if that helps. The "clunk, clunk, clunk" of his shell on the glass when he's doing it is driving me nuts haha. Thanks!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I put paper on the back of the wall and he's all good! (brown paper) if I don't he starts to clunk the tank. See!

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
So i came home and painted the bottom 4 inches or so of the tank. Hudson came by each side i was working on and watched lol! Think i'll put paper or a picture on the back but hopefully this will relax the little dude for now :) Tried to upload a pic but it wont work. To give u an idea, i did like a purple and blue faux finish :-D

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Here's the pic, think it looks nice. He was very nosy about the whole thing and seems pretty content now =)

Attachments

• 329344_4254557891550_48734624_o.jpg
    329344_4254557891550_48734624_o.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 75

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
mctlong said:
Effective and pretty. Good combo. :)

Thanks!

nylesmommy said:
For 13.95 at lowes you can get one of those cement mixing tubs works great! Nyle loves his .

Hmm yeah when Hudson gets too big for this tank I will probably go for something like that... for now since I paid 100 bucks for it I'm not changing it LOL

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
MarianneL711 said:
mctlong said:

Thanks!

nylesmommy said:
For 13.95 at lowes you can get one of those cement mixing tubs works great! Nyle loves his .

Hmm yeah when Hudson gets too big for this tank I will probably go for something like that... for now since I paid 100 bucks for it I'm not changing it LOL

Return this tank. I had the same one for my Greek (I also payed $100 for it) and it just isn't big enough for your tort, even now. You can return it and for the same price buy a Zoo-Med Tortoise House.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
ShervyBaby said:
MarianneL711 said:
mctlong said:

Thanks!

nylesmommy said:

Return this tank. I had the same one for my Greek (I also payed $100 for it) and it just isn't big enough for your tort, even now. You can return it and for the same price buy a Zoo-Med Tortoise House.

Well I can't now I've painted on it lol but I will look into something larger. Thanks.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
CLMoss said:
Tortoises just do "get" glass. I used tape around my tank to avoid this problem.

Yeah it did seem to frustrate him. He's much happier since I painted it although now sometimes he tries to climb the painted area lol. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy him more things to climb on. =)

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
I think you could put something on the glass but "inside" because like you did, your tort will continu to see his reflection. It's just a supposition not a free bad critical. ;-)
I did like this with mine but finally i will make my own wood enclosure, it's the best solution i think

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I am not sure if it is his reflection. I believe that they don't understand why they can't walk through the glass. JMHO. I have never has a problem with my hatchling seeing their reflection. Maybe the tape will work on the inside if you are still having a problem.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
MarianneL711 said:
Yeah it did seem to frustrate him. He's much happier since I painted it although now sometimes he tries to climb the painted area lol. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy him more things to climb on. =)

He's a very lucky tortoise. :)

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
CLMoss said:
I am not sure if it is his reflection. I believe that they don't understand why they can't walk through the glass. JMHO. I have never has a problem with my hatchling seeing their reflection. Maybe the tape will work on the inside if you are still having a problem.

I think so too, I think it was because he could see out. There's still a slight reflection with the paint but on his level it's really just a blob so i don't think he thinks it's another tort. I only painted it tuesday so I will give it a few more days and see how he is. =)

mctlong said:
MarianneL711 said:

He's a very lucky tortoise. :)

Heheh well luckily accessories aren't expensive so hopefully he will enjoy it... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.