Treating shellrot with lotrimin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I have begun the treatment but have a couple followup questions. I applied the lotrimin to the plastron generously, but should i also apply it to the carapace too just in case? Also, im certain it is fungal/mold, not bacterial (its white, not black and smelly), but should i mix in a treatment with antibacterial lotion too or just stick to the lotrimin?..As always, replies are graciously appreciated.

TZ

Pic of what i found

Attachments

• 1368073714473.jpg
    1368073714473.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 43

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would apply it only to the plastron, perhaps maybe on the bottom of the carapace around the edge where it means the plastron. Also, you are going to want to do frequent substrate changes. When I was treating my red foot for shell rot, I used only a thin layer of cypress bark, and the rest of it I baked and then changed the substrate twice a week. Some people use towels or newspaper and change daily. I wouldn't mix it with the bacterial lotion, it may dilute the fungal cream and make it less effective.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
I would apply it only to the plastron, perhaps maybe on the bottom of the carapace around the edge where it means the plastron. Also, you are going to want to do frequent substrate changes. When I was treating my red foot for shell rot, I used only a thin layer of cypress bark, and the rest of it I baked and then changed the substrate twice a week. Some people use towels or newspaper and change daily. I wouldn't mix it with the bacterial lotion, it may dilute the fungal cream and make it less effective.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW burbs, Illinois
I dont know if this applies to tortoises but I had athletes foot once and it kept coming back when I would get rid of it and my doctor told me that even after I show no signs of it you are still supposed to apply the cream for a month afterwords because the fungi is still there.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I was advised to do it for two weeks. I still applied the lotrimin for 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for the damage to heal but that will take years. At least you caught yours early.

Status
Not open for further replies.