Tort's Sleeping Habits

JNF

I live in Washington state and my son brought home a Greek tort around 15-20 years old (per veterinarian) that was left behind in an apartment he rented with college friends. I've had "Frankie" since June 2014 and he eats Romaine, dandelion greens, and clover mixed with T-Rex Dr Formula and Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food about twice a week. He's been very active the past two months by taking a dip in his water pool, walking around his habitat that is a 3' x 1.5' plastic box with substrate, ledge to bask on, heat lamp, etc. During the past winter he would burrow himself in the substrate and was rarely up -- maybe 1-2 a week at which time I gave him a bath (he poops fine) and fed him.

Since May (WA is experiencing a heatwave at the moment.) he is up quite a bit and when I have time, I let him wander around my backyard with close supervision for a hour or so. Inside, he wanders around the rooms I am in. He moves around freely, is curious, etc. But I have noticed the past few weeks that he is not burrowing in his substrate, He takes time creating a nesting area by spewing substrate around and then he lays on top of his mound. He also takes his lettuce and places the bits in his water bowl before eating them. I turn the A/C off in his room and monitor the temp which hovers around 75 (w/o his light on).

Question: Is he doing okay? This is the first time I (The mom) have ever cared for a Tort.

Thank you for any insights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

We have a very good care sheet on Greek tortoises that's pinned at the top of our Greek section. You might pick up a few pointers there. I think his room being at 75F is ok as long as he has a light he can sit under to warm up more. They need to get their inner core up to at least 80F before the body can digest the food.

JNF

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

We have a very good care sheet on Greek tortoises that's pinned at the top of our Greek section. You might pick up a few pointers there. I think his room being at 75F is ok as long as he has a light he can sit under to warm up more. They need to get their inner core up to at least 80F before the body can digest the food.

Yvonne: Thank you! I will read the care sheet and keep Frankie's light on more. Appreciated.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Welcome to the forum,
I wouldn't let him wander around freely in the house because something might go wrong... I suggest that you turn the lights on during the day, and turn them off at night. When he's out I'd put him in an enclosed area and supervise him. It's really important that he has a very shady area (so he doesn't overheat). I have a Greek tortoise too.
Good luck!!! :)

JNF

Welcome to the forum,
I wouldn't let him wander around freely in the house because something might go wrong... I suggest that you turn the lights on during the day, and turn them off at night. When he's out I'd put him in an enclosed area and supervise him. It's really important that he has a very shady area (so he doesn't overheat). I have a Greek tortoise too.
Good luck!!! :)
Thank you!