Tortoise play

NJO

Location (City and/or State)
Downers Grove/IL
Hello,
I have been on the discussion thread last year. My tortoise Sulcata Sydney (28 years old) laid 14 eggs last summer. The eggs were all non fertile. Year before only 4 non fertile eggs.
This summer she has been excavating our yard like last summer. No eggs yet. She has been trying to mate with my male Sulcata and my male leopard tortoise. Is this normal behavior?
Also, How do I keep her from excavating my yard.? She has perfect habit that she also excavated and sleeps all night. Wakes up, I feed her and the others, they graze all day and she excavtes most the day.
Confused on what to do.
Norma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed. She should not ever be in the same pen as your leopard.

Sulcatas dig. Some more than others. Can't really stop it. This is one reason why they are not good tortoises for most people, even though they do tend to have great personalities.

NJO

Downers Grove/IL
Species should never be mixed. She should not ever be in the same pen as your leopard.

Sulcatas dig. Some more than others. Can't really stop it. This is one reason why they are not good tortoises for most people, even though they do tend to have great personalities.
Thank you for the advice. I have had them since their were babies.
I have them in my fenced in yard during the late spring and throughout the summer, early fall if weather permits. They come in our home during the winter months.
They only started excavating last year.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The advice Tom gave you was exactly what you needed to do, so if you can't or won't follow it, then your situation will only change for the worst, and so will it too for your tortoises. That's the truth.

NJO

Downers Grove/IL
I do keep them separate. This has never happened before. That is why I asked. I have had my tortoises over 28 years. They are very healthy and see a veterinarian every year. Yearly exams. Thank you again.