Tortoise identification help please

Marie Davis

My family recently adopted a small tortoise. We found it on its back in our front yard a couple of months ago. We've made a habitat in our yard for him/her and we are loving the addition to our household. I'm not 100% certain what type of tortoise we have. Can I get a little help?14661910647761924623950.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That's a young Sulcata - African Spurred Tortoise. I would guess about 8-10 months old and looks like it was very well taken care of. Have you tried to locate it's owner? It is probably an escaped pet, or perhaps grabbed out of someone's yard by a bird and dropped in yours.

Where are you located? In what state?

Marie Davis

I'm in southern California. Ive posted signs in the neighborhood trying to locate it's owner, but nothing so far. I just assumed we found a native desert tortoise (we live in the high desert) and have been treating her as such. I'm glad I posted in here so I can take better care of him/her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have found our young sulcata. Go to the top of the sulcata section and read the care sheets and care information. They cannot stay outside 24 seven without a heat source for very long. It is not good for them and will probably lead to sickness and or death. They are a tropical species and our cold nights here in Southern California are not good for them.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Beautiful little guy!! Just a warning, these fellows get BIG. You were lucky to find him! What's his name?

Marie Davis

Beautiful little guy!! Just a warning, these fellows get BIG. You were lucky to find him! What's his name?
We've named him/her Shelly. It's short for Shellvira or Sheldon Von Tortiestein. My kids are very creative. We are excited to covert part of our yard to a habitat. Space isn't an issue, so we are making big plans. Any suggestions so on how to make and maintain a heated shelter?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wonderful name! And your kids ARE creative! I don't know much about outdoor shelters... sorry! I'll leave this for someone else!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California