Tortoise Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello tortoise lovers! Im sure most of you have heard of a Sulcata/Leopard Tortoise Hybrid? It was advertised on kingsnake.com Is this a real breeding or is it just photoshopped? I have a friend who breeds Radiated Tortoises and has either a Red Foot or a Cherryhead (dont really remember) in his colony. He is hoping this native south american tortoise will breed with a radiated. Is this possible? He claims it is possible; he says a friend of his successfully bred these tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm what is known as a tortoise snob. I'm not for inter breeding. I think all tortoise types should be kept pure.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No the sulcata/pardalis hybrids are real and not photoshopped. I'm afraid it is possible to breed a Redfoot with a Radiated and get hatchlings. It has been done before and 2 hatchlings resulted.
I've posted a BW picture of one of them somewhere on the forum.

Danny

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I absolutely agree with Yvonne!

What would be your friends purpose of breeding a Redfoot to a Radiated? The resulting hybrid would be neither Redfoot or Radiated and at that point could not (and should not) be allowed to contribute to the captive sustainability of either species. Basically you're creating a genetic mutant.

moswen

5 Year Member
Radiateds are ENDANGERED and you have to apply to the department of wildlife to get a permit to even own these beautiful creatures SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of reproduction and your friend is trying to create a hybrid? You should seriously talk to your friend about this situation... Not only that producing a hybrid would be scandalously against his permit regulations, but also he could wipe out one or both of his personal herd because he has introduced different species to each other and he's HOUSING them together!!! I'm not necessarily "against" hybrids in general, I mean what you want to accomplish in your life is your own business as long as your pets are getting proper care and adequate housing, but really, an ENDANGERED species that you have to have a stinking PERMIT to even own! This is a little ridiculous. Sorry if I've hurt anyone's feelings by what I have said but this is truly something else. I mean, does anyone else want to preserve what nature has created and intended to live besides me? Have I said yet that these creatures are ENDANGERED!!? Hell, let's just take the few remaining orangutans and bear faced tamerans that are left in the wild and try to create a hybrid out of these guys too.

Status
Not open for further replies.