Tortoise feet

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Cheerio was taking a step but gave up halfway through... This resulted in this adorable positioning of her feet.
My little Russian tends to give up halfway through burrowing and falls asleep in that exact position--like a little pinwheel! It's adorable.

Very cute photo. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
actually I've always felt that a tortoise to sleep like that is a very content and peaceful animal Not Afraid or stressed.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoises do need to bask that way. They expose the more relatively softer, thinner-skinned parts of their legs to absorb the UV as D3 is only made in the skin. That's the upper parts of the hind limbs and the backs of the front legs as well as the neck.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
Tortoises do need to bask that way. They expose the more relatively softer, thinner-skinned parts of their legs to absorb the UV as D3 is only made in the skin. That's the upper parts of the hind limbs and the backs of the front legs as well as the neck.
That's really cool, I didn't know that.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
actually I've always felt that a tortoise to sleep like that is a very content and peaceful animal Not Afraid or stressed.
I hope so! I want her to be comfortable. :) She's so feisty, and seeing her sleeping peacefully is the cutest thing ever!

I had no idea. That's really cool. Thanks for sharing!