Tortoise fascination in Ball! ⚽️

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hi everyone,

Bit of a fun observation! My beautiful Russian Tort, Yoshi, has become fascinated in a new ball I put into their enclosure. We have called the ball Wilson (Castaway vibes) because of this new found friendship! Would anyone have any ideas of why my tort likes to hang out with the ball? I do wonder if they’d be interested in a playmate, but Yoshi hasn’t officially been sexed yet so I don’t want to introduce a new tortoise unless I know how they may behave towards each other!

See photo of Yoshi and Wilson included 😉

Attachments

• C5D8ADDC-F84A-4EFB-88CE-2F26ADCA8ED4.jpeg
    C5D8ADDC-F84A-4EFB-88CE-2F26ADCA8ED4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a ball in my outdoors Redfoot enclosure.
Sometimes a tortoise will blow off some steam pushing it around.
I'm not sure if it's helpful for a single tortoise. It's aggressive behavior. He thinks it's another tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is most likely being territorial, and possibly breeding frustration. It is not friendship.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Sexes don't matter. A new tortoise will most likely be outright attacked. If you want a second tortoise, (...and who doesn't?!?) get a second enclosure for it.

A few helpful observations:
1. The water bowl needs to be larger.
2. Both the food and water dishes need to be sunk down into the substrate for easier tortoise access.
3. The hay needs to be removed. Your substrate needs to be kept lightly damp to reduce dust and increase humidity, and this will make the hay mold. Russians are not grass eaters, so the hay serves no purpose and is a risk.
4. Your tortoise needs a much larger enclosure. 4x8 feet is the minimum. I see that your are using a vivarium, and contrary to what is said on the internet on a regular basis, those are best. You just need a much larger one than what is sold in stores.

I recently typed up this big thread. You might find some useful info in it in spite of the title: