Tortoise died while pooping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthwalkerz

Sadly one of my 2 one year old tortoises has died this morning.
I went to feed them like usual and noticed Layton sleeping (?) and got worried as he wasn't moving.. Picked him up and all his limbs were out and his eyes had like, dried up? They were sunken in and I've seen this with rodents so assumed he had died. I noticed under his tail a large white/yellow clump like the size of a peanut out his butt.
I don't know what happened but it looks like this was the cause :-/ I am heart broken but luckily his sibling is fine.
Just wanted to know if this is common? I think he ate the substrate (coco fibre stuff and soil) but I'm not sure :-/

phebe121

The coco fiber wouldnt have killed him im sorry for your loss

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I won't hazard a guess as to the cause of death but unless it consumed considerable amounts of the substrate, that is unlikely the cause. The whitish yellow substance you noticed is known as urates (uric acid salts) and is the nitrogenous waste urinary end product for reptiles and many other animals - equivalent to urea in most mammals. Chances are it was expressed (pushed out) by the gas pressure building up in the intestinal tract of the tort. Its presence could be a result of other problems but an accurate diagnosis would require further analysis (e.g. postmortem autopsy).

Please review your husbandry with particular attention to hydration and how/where you are placing the food. Resolving any issues will improve the likelihood of avoiding this from recurring.

Sorry about the unfortunate turn of events but use it as an opportunity to improve the success of future endeavors in this arena.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oohhh, I'm so very sorry for your loss :( But as HLogic stated please provide your overall husbandry and feeding with everyone, as there may have been avoidance to this. Also, was there any signs before your tort passed? I'm so sorry again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a very sad story. I'm so sorry.

The ball of urates that you saw on the cloaca - was it hard? Chances are it was a bladder stone. Sometimes when a tortoise has stones and they clog up the works, the tortoise stops eating and eventually dies. Because yours was a baby, he didn't have the energy stored up that a larger tortoise would have, so death came on more suddenly. I don't know for a fact this is what happened, no one can tell you that without a necropsy. But if this was the case, then more water and more frequent soaking should be done with your remaining tortoise.

earthwalkerz

Yes after looking at images I believe it was a bladder stone. I was given these tortoises and I don't know much about their history..but I'll make sure his sibling is watched closely :/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes after looking at images I believe it was a bladder stone. I was given these tortoises and I don't know much about their history..but I'll make sure his sibling is watched closely :/

First I am so terribly sorry. ,Very hard way to have to start your day.

Second, Seeing you don't know of their past, most likely not kept the proper way, safe to assume here. I would be sure to soak the other one in warm water for 20-30 minutes daily for a while. Then once a week there after. Better being on he safe side.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I am so sorry for your loss :( :(

Boyu

Barcelona
i reccomend separating tortoises bc if one has a infection it can transfer to the other tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.