Tortoise climbing out of home

Hollygolightly

5 Year Member
Help! My desert tortoise escaped last September (we thought she was killed) and then today as we were outside she was walking around our front yard!! We were so excited to have her back but are concerned about her escaping again. I have pics of her enclosure. We had different plants in it for her to eat but once she escaped, we planted them elsewhere. So we of course need to add plants and grass again but how do we get her to stop crawling on the sides? Will one more level of bricks work or should we cover the top as well?

AECB2CAB-DAF1-406C-A1C6-6A11F6D2D355.jpegA906831F-8CB4-4FD6-9D70-B6CA796AB6CC.jpeg23ADBFD1-5C37-4949-8DCF-F56AAFCD4ABE.jpeg

L

LasTortugasNinja

I'd do at least an 14" wall around. Covering the top might be extreme, unless dogs or cats are in the area, or you are out in the countryside with coyotes or golden eagles.

Hollygolightly

5 Year Member
I'd do at least an 14" wall around. Covering the top might be extreme, unless dogs or cats are in the area, or you are out in the countryside with coyotes or golden eagles.

Thank you! So tortoises cannot climb up the brick wall correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It needs to be three blocks high, and the middle row should be started with a half block to off set it.

The enclosure needs to be much larger too.

Finally, cap the corners with plywood or something.

Hollygolightly

5 Year Member
It needs to be three blocks high, and the middle row should be started with a half block to off set it.

The enclosure needs to be much larger too.

Finally, cap the corners with plywood or something.
Thank you!