Tortoise BFF's??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Silly question, gonna ask anyways because only a stupid question goes unasked. I'm playing around with the idea of getting Tilley (almost 2 years old, 8" sulcata) a companion. My question is simple, do torts like friends or roommates? I'm not looking for food, enclosure or any other troubleshooting concerns. Again, I simply want to know if torts like to have friends or companionship...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
They're solitary unless they're ready to mate. Don't need friends.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No. Really bad in pairs. Three or more with lots of property so they can have their space and even then you may need to separate them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's human to worry that your tortoise needs company. They neither want nor need it. Being alone means they don't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food. When you add another member to an existing tortoise you run the risk of the existing tortoise trying to run the new one out of the territory. The new one has no place to go, and he stops eating and stays hiding all the time. Eventually dies...unless the alert keeper realizes something is wrong.

There are many different species of animals that don't live in groups or herds, and tortoises are just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.