Tortoise acting erratic

fergusaur

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
3 days ago I increased my 2 and half year old Hermann’s tortoise’s enclosure to 5 ft long and 3 and half wide. Because he is a picky eater I’ve decided to give him some tough love and just give him some new foods I know he won’t like so that he’ll become less picky. I’ve just been feeding him the same thing for the past 2 days until he eventually caves in to his new food (arugula, dandelion greens, and cactus pads. He is know constantly head-butting, biting and climbing the edges of his enclosure. I think this response is because he’s trying to escape looking for different food to eat but I just wanted some other opinions on the matter to make sure I’m approaching this the right way.

Attachments

• IMG_9608.jpeg
    IMG_9608.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Yeah, I agree with zeropilot tortoises don't like any change so it will take a while for him to settle into the new enclosure. When I got my Russian tortoise, he tried to escape his new enclosure for about a week, scratching the walls, climbing everything and moving his hides and water bowl from the walls towards the middle of his enclosure. With time he got used to his new enclosure and I believe the same is going to happen with yours.