Too much food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataMikey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Just got a 3 month old Sulcata and have been taking him outside for sun for about 30 minutes each day. I've been placing him on the lawn and letting him walk around. He keeps eating the grass and weeds. The breeder said to feed him every other day. Is it okay that he eats so much every time he's outside? Or should I keep him in a pen with no food when outside?

Thanks!
J.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read read Toms threads below for a raising a healthy and smooth sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi J., and welcome to the Forum!!

Your breeder was way off the mark when he gave you that information. Quite a few "back yard breeders" don't keep up on the current information, since they have success getting babies to hatch, they think they are doing something right. It is easy to get sulcatas to breed and the eggs to hatch...the hard part is raising the babies so they grow smooth and healthy.

You've made a big step in the right direction by joining the Forum. Because we have so many members, we are able to keep up with the new and exciting husbandry ideas.

Sulcatas are eating machines. When they're outside in the sun, that's what they do...eat, eat, eat!!!

Let your baby eat as much as he wants to. Its normal and natural.

Please read the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section. You will be educating yourself on the latest in sulcata husbandry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SulcataMikey said:
Just got a 3 month old Sulcata and have been taking him outside for sun for about 30 minutes each day. I've been placing him on the lawn and letting him walk around. He keeps eating the grass and weeds. The breeder said to feed him every other day. Is it okay that he eats so much every time he's outside? Or should I keep him in a pen with no food when outside?

Hello and welcome. The info your breeder gave you is totally incorrect, and I'll bet at least some of the other things he/she told you were incorrect too. For example, did you know that sulcatas are NOT desert animals, and they should not be housed in dry desert-like conditions. Babies actually hatch during the African rainy season. Its hot, wet, very humid, and there is water and green growing foods everywhere. Simulating THESE conditions will help grow you the healthiest and happiest sulcata baby.

Please click the links in my signature for more info on this, and here is a diet sheet too: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

SulcataMikey

5 Year Member
California
Thanks! So glad I found this forum. We did a lot of reading before and after we got the sulcata. And unfortuntately, there was so much mixed information about care that we got a bit confused. Looks like this is the place to be for up-to-date information! =)

Going back to the breeder, she gave me a few brown pellet looking things. Told me to cut it in half and soak it a bit before putting it out for the tortoise to eat. Should I feed it this or just toss it and feed it the same things a larger tortoise would eat?

Thanks again!
J.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Some of these so called "breeders" out there are just to damn dumb.. Follow Tom's advice and read his threads on how to raise a healthy Sulcata. You cant go wrong!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. The best information on raising Sulcata is here. Not that we always agree on everything, but you will get the best advice available every step of the way. The Mazuri Tortoise chow is good for your young sulcata. I have heard it called "crackzuri" because of the way some tortoises are attracted to it. Moisten it with water to soften it so your baby can eat it. Mix it with other foods to give a balanced diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.