Tomato lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
Hello! Captain Pugwash loves tomatoes but always has runny poo when he's eaten some - do I take away his fave treat? He eats mainly green leaves but enjoys a tomato twice a week with his calcium powder hidden in it. Please help! x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How big is he and how much tomato does he get at one time? What if you gave him less at one time? Are you trying other food items on him, to see if you might find some other "treat" for him?

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
He's about 3 inches long. He eats dandelion leaves and all kinds of salad leaves - I give him a cherry tomato chopped up small and he eats about half of it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tomato is not a good choice as a regular part of a Russian tortoises diet. Your tortoises feces is runny afterward because that's exactly what tomatoes and other fruits do to a Russian tortoise when too much is consumed. Russian tortoises digestive systems are not evolved to consume and process fruit on a regular basis. Fruit can disrupt their digestive process, encourage intestinal bacterial blooms and can potentially lead to dehydration. This is especially true of smaller tortoises with less body mass than adults. A better "treat" would be a more solid vegetable such as pumpkin or semi-softened sweet potato. Both have better overall nutrional value without the problems that tomatoes can create. They can be a part of a more varied, quality diet for Russian tortoises which should consist mainly of greens (about 80-85%) with some vegetables (15-20%) for additional vitamins and minerals. Calcium powder can either be very well mixed with food in small amounts occasionally or offered seperately in a small, shallow container for them to consume on their own as needed.

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
Oooh! No more tomato for Pugly then! I originally tried putting the calcium powder on his leaves, but he either didn't eat it at all or tapped it all off with his head (he's quite smart). The last four weeks has been a steep learning curve, especially since Captain Pugwash has discovered how to open the door to his vivarium #panicstations! Thankyou x

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
Tea time...no tomato! x

Attachments

• image-1812834443.png
    image-1812834443.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image-3400534825.png
    image-3400534825.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 3

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Stick to greens. I think the only treat I give my Russians is grated carrots, which are still fairly fibrous, and they do seem to like them every once in a while.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine get carrot once a month for beak maintenance, try some , mine seem to love it. Twice a week is to much

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
2zox16c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.