Time for an open top?

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have about a year and a half old Hermanns tortoise who is about 3 inches long. He is currently in a closed chamber enclosure and I was wondering about what length or age he has to be before I can make him a really awesome open top enclosure that doesn't need 80% humidity all the time? I have been searching for awhile for the answer but I can't seem to find one if you guys could help me out that would be awesome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hermanni never need humidity that high. It won't hurt them, but it isn't necessary.

Pyramiding occurs when there is growth in conditions that are too dry. At 3" your tortoise still has some growing to do. Damp substrate, a humid hide, and moderate ambient humidity will be needed for a while longer. A closed chamber at 80% ambient is not necessary for your baby.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Oh really? Now I'm a bit confused because when I was building his first cage everyone here told me that I needed 80% humidity for a baby Hermann. What would you say his humidity needs to be at and can it he achieved with an open top?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
70% is more suitable for T. hermanni ssp as babies but as Tom suggested, 80% won't hurt them. I am very shocked though that your tortoise did not develop skin nodules or fungus of any kind living in a closed chamber at that level of humidity. This species is particularly prone to them in overly most conditions.
Basic needs should be met here and the animal will thrive. It must have access to a humid area still as it has a long way to go to adulthood/maturity.
One of the best ways to provide this for T. hermanni ssp is through means of a deep and moist enough substrate. The animal will subject itself to the microclimate of choice if given the chance to.

Reactions: Tom