Thoughts on Tetra Tortoise?

pimudh

Location (City and/or State)
Porvoo
I've seen a thread about this exact food on here, but it's from 2016 so I wanna see if anyone else has experience with it since then.

First off, I primarily want to feed fresh greens to my western Hermann's, named Kimi. I am an avid gardener and have grown many veggies for myself over the years. Adding some tort veggies and plants to my pots and garden won't be a problem.

I know some people are not big fans of manufactured foods, but this thread is not meant to be a discussion about that. I simply want to know if anyone else has experience with this food.

I bought some Agrobs Testudo, since that is what the breeder was feeding him already. I had also bought Tetra Tortoise before finding the breeder. I know Tetra as a good quality, affordable brand for fish pellets, from my time as fishkeeper. On the surface, I can only see 2 notable differences between the brand: Tetra food is red and seems to have much smaller "pieces" in it as opposed to the Agrobs, which seems to have bigger grasses in it.

Nutrition-wise, the foods differ slightly according to the package. Agrobs contains 8% protein and 30% crude fibre. Tetra contains 9% protein and 22% crude fibre. So, less fibre than Agrobs. BUT it does contain a little vitamin D3.

Despite Agrobs being the breeder's food, Kimi does not seem to like it. He had eaten just a few bites since I got him on 26th February. I thought the not eating it was from him settling in, but today I noticed his interest in a reddish rock he has in the enclosure. That's when I remembered I had the Tetra food. I offered it to him and he immediately gorged himself on it. I will add a picture of the 2 foods next to each other and the rock in question.

So in conclusion, what are your thoughts on Tetra Tortoise? Is it good as part of a varied diet? Is it better than Agrobs Testudo, or worse?

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_104317.jpg
    IMG_20230228_104317.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230228_125411.jpg
    IMG_20230228_125411.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't use either. However, my opinion and use of foods are, if it's a part of a varied diet and that diet consist of more of the proper foods, then feed it.
Tortoises are attracted to red, so I can see him being attracted to it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would wonder what makes it RED. If it's Red Dye No. 40, I would steer clear of it. It gives rats, and God knows what else, Cancer.

pimudh

Porvoo
I would wonder what makes it RED. If it's Red Dye No. 40, I would steer clear of it. It gives rats, and God knows what else, Cancer.
New fear unlocked! But after checking it seems to be banned in Finland and other European countries so I'm gonna guess it won't contain that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly not banned here in US. There was another red dye banned years ago though. Are you sure it's not that one?

pimudh

Porvoo
Sadly not banned here in US. There was another red dye banned years ago though. Are you sure it's not that one?
Red dye 3 I'm guessing is what you refer to. As far as I know, that has not been banned for (pet)food purposes. It's not stated on the packing which exact colourant is used, so I've sent an email to Tetra and asked if they could provide that information. I will post their reply here.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Red dye 3 I'm guessing is what you refer to. As far as I know, that has not been banned for (pet)food purposes. It's not stated on the packing which exact colourant is used, so I've sent an email to Tetra and asked if they could provide that information. I will post their reply here.

The packages on on Amazon and other US websites says red #3

pimudh

Porvoo
Could you send a link of that? I checked US Amazon but it simply says "See Label" and.. well.. the label simply says "Colourants" lol

pimudh

Porvoo
Could you send a link of that? I checked US Amazon but it simply says "See Label" and.. well.. the label simply says "Colourants" lol
Nevermind, I got it here on the Petco website! Turns out you have to Google "Tetra Tortoise USA" and not "Tetra Tortoise review" or "Tetra Tortoise ingredients"

It lists FD&C Red #3 as an ingredient, which is known to cause cancer in rats if the dye makes up 4% or more of their daily diet. Red #3 is not specifically banned for pet food in Europe, so I'm curious to see what Tetra's reply will be to my email. And I also wonder how much % of this food is made of the dye. Until Tetra sends a reply I won't use this food for Kimi. And if it turns out to contain Red #3 I'll just throw it out, not gonna risk it.

pimudh

Porvoo
Tetra hasn't replied yet, I don't expect they will anymore at this point.

HOWEVER!

I fed some of it to my lateralis roach colony that I still have from when I had a jumping spider to feed. I was curious to see if they'd eat it, then I'd just feed the rest of the can of to them and in that way not waste it. They're all dead now. I know they are insects and their whole body system is different to reptiles and mammals but holy ****! It killed off my entire lateralis roach colony in under a week. The only thing I have changed about my roach colony's setup and diet is just adding the Tetra food. If it can kill a cockroach, I don't want to feed it to my tortoise for sure!