Thinking of buying a Pet Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
Do you have a yard at all? If not consider a bearded dragon-- very neat :) love them. Can keep Indoor and can watch constantly!

consolefreak

5 Year Member
Don't know if that exists in malta... I don't got yard just roof but i think that live like 12 years not liek tortoise for 100 years :p

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
consolefreak said:
can you name me some good pets that can be breeded and live allot?

How about birds? A lot have a fairly good life span, and they can be kept in a large cage. They don't have the requirement for soil and digging space as much, and you can build an enclosure up rather than out if you need to keep them outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you should research what species of animal is available for where you live. Research the care and housing of them how big they get and how long they live. When you have found one that you can care for and house properly, then we could try to answer any question you might have or refer you to web sites to read. We could give you a list of animals, but not knowing much about where you live or what is available to, makes it a waist of time. Most animals can live a while being taken care of improperly, to live the amount of years they are suppose to takes proper care, housing, etc. A tortoise will live awhile on your roof, which is not a proper way of caring for one. It will not likely live anywhere near the amount of years it is suppose to. Also improper care of any animal, causes high vet bills. The bearded dragon, if available in your area is a great pet. I could put my dearded on a lizard leash and take him outside, I would put him on a log in the window and he would stay there taking in the sun, he would sit for hours on my shoulder. If you can't care and house properly for the health and happiness of the animal, then it's not the animal you should get.
I hope you consider everyone's advice. Most here would love for you to have a tortoise if you could house and care for it properly. Good luck on finding the right animal.:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Just curious...why do you want a pet that you can breed?

With few exceptions, most animals take a little hard work and dedication to get them to reproduce properly in captivity. On top of the regular care and husbandry of the animals and making sure they remain healthy, you have to make sure the conditions are right, etc. If we're dealing with birds or most reptiles, then you'll probably need to invest in some form of incubator for the eggs. Of course, the incubation process can be stressful, making sure your equipment remains functional the entire time, and constantly checking the temps and humidity. And lastly, if you are successful, you have baby animals to care for! Will you be set-up to provide the needs for a dozen baby tortoises or baby birds, or whatever it is you decide to keep?

These are things to consider. Many people have the silly notion that they want to breed such-and-such animal because it'll make them money. Most of the breeders on this forum will probably tell you that properly breeding and raising any kind of animal is not a "get rich quick scheme." You don't just get a boy and a girl animal, stick them in a cage, and then sit in front of your computer or iPhone and just wait for the money to pour from the sky. LOL...most breeders are lucky to break even covering their expenses.
-----------

Also, why do you want an animal that lives so long? Is "100 years" the magic number? I mean, some snakes live 40-50 years, and they are a heck of a lot easier to keep and breed than a bird or tortoise. And you can "play" with them a little easier than a turtle or tortoise, too. Perhaps you should look into that option.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And just because your uncle does it, doesn't make it right. I think his tortoises are probably suffering and not living a very happy life. Please think of the animal's point of view and not just the fact that you want one.

consolefreak

5 Year Member
About Bearded Dragon I like that type of reptiles cos when I was young I rarely see chameleon in the fileds and I like it. About Snakes, don't think my mum will let me get 1 she said they can kill you like turn around of your neck etc.... But Snakes looks cool ye.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Does your mum know you are thinking about breeding some sort of exotic animal on your roof that may live a very long time?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
consolefreak said:
But water turtles can't realy play with them, cos they stay in aquarium. & my uncle have 2 Toroitse on his roof I think without enclousre they do lay eggs but they never hatch.

Water turtles are very personable pets, mine just as much as my Sulcata, even more so.. When I walk in my turtle room all my turtles go crazy, like a puppy greeting his owner when he comes home, of course I know they r begging for food but still I love it, and when I set my hand in the water, any of em will swim right to me, rest in my hand, they like me to scratch em on the rear of their carapace, its so adorable

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
consolefreak said:
ye but thats not dangerous animal

Who said they were?
-------------

And the record for some aquatic turtle species exceed 40 years. So they live longer than you think!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Research, research, research. You need to do a lot of it. A bearded dragon lizard is not the same as a chameleon lizard. Please spend a lot of time looking up different species, the care they need, and if you can give it to them. Then research a whole lot more before you decide.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.