5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Moving this to another section where hopefully folks who have had experience with a couple of these can answer you better then I could. :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I dont know about thermostats as I dont ise them instead i use dimmers.
Here is my two cents: why buy more expensive reptile specific brands when the house brands do the exact same thing for a cheaper price? I use the AcuRite brand indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer with a wire probe in all my cages and I have never had an issues with them and have them everywhere it seems. Here's a pick of the units I use:

Attachments

• image-3571691715.png
    image-3571691715.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Never used the first or last. But I have had the accurite. Its not accurate at all. I have found the zoo med ones work pretty decent. Your best bet is going to be a temperature gun. You can get them at home depot lowes, etc.. They work very well. You just aim it and pull the trigger and it tells you exactly what the temp is in the spot you shoot it at.

Like this one.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

EKLC

5 Year Member
I can personally recommend this thermostat:

http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-1000-Thermostat

connected to a CHE this makes your life so much easier, knowing your animal will never get too hot or cold.

For a thermometer, I feel that a temp gun is worth the money. I have this one:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...timers/-/infrared-temperature-gun-with-laser/

instant read temperature anywhere in the enclosure or outside. Great for fine tuning your enclosure. For instance, the probe might say its 80 in the tank, but your tort is in the corner on a piece of wet ground that is 73 degrees.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Temp gun is the way to go. Then i have a humidity gage in the enclosure..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find the accu-rite products to be very accurate. The Zilla ones that I've had were off a bit and they were way off on the humidity.

That thermostat should work fine.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I too have used the AcuRite thermometers (several agree with each other, so they are uniformly inaccurate or work well), someone posted something about one at Walmart for $6.00 that did a rotating 24 high low, and it works fine. Temp guns will not indicate ambient temps, only radiant energy (heat), so for that purpose they are good, but you will not get ambient temps from them.

As for the thermostat Thalatte is dead on speaking my mind. Any thermostat that has a probe which you can place at your point of interest will work, and as Thalatte said why pay for custom packaging?

Will

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I personally like the Springfield model 91551 thermometer/hygrometer combination units. I have about a dozen or more of them that have been in use for many years now. They are simple, accurate, small and reliable. They usually run about $10-15 each online.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Richsandwich said:
I got my temp gun at petco for 24.99 works great so far.
I just got that one also. It seem to be the same as my temp probe i have in the

Status
Not open for further replies.