The war on Florida green Iguanas is ON

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Maybe they will offer safari hunts in a urban setting?
Me oh my... just to pick off a few big guys when the little ones are still in the garden thriving. Looks like a sustainable business in Florida since there's so many invasive species there. 👀

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Me oh my... just to pick off a few big guys when the little ones are still in the garden thriving. Looks like a sustainable business in Florida since there's so many invasive species there. 👀
Iguana in the morning and then Boas in the afternoon. Just think of the leather options

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
One of my toys is a modified Benjamin...one of those high powered Pneumatic pellet guns and 1 bought 3d printed mags from Poland that hold 12 -25 cal pellets that fire with 3,000PSI, viewing through or remotely, an Xsight 2 Computerized Night/Day Vision scope. Go look at it, it's badda**....but HEAVY! The whole rig weighs 14.7 lbs with a stock-velcro'ed power pack. Definitely bipod territory for spending any time on the "glass".....but it's a really effective, powerful, clean, quiet package at 1500 bucks for the entire system including SCUBA tank for easy refill!

A lot of guys down South use something like this for hogs, usually more caliber......but .25 is good for iguanas and the scope is one-shot-to perfect...you sight in with 1 shot, place the reticle over the hit, press a button...gtg.....you cannot miss.

good times....but I would not shoot lizards or snakes....I just don't have it in me. To me, there are cool animals....like the Bald Eagles that landed in Kerry's trees yesterday morning 40 feet from us, it was mesmerizing as they were a mating pair, hawks, fox, racoon, deer...and of course reptiles are all "cool animals" to me...moles, voles, rodents and some others.....for them, I'm not so fond.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Iguana in the morning and then Boas in the afternoon. Just think of the leather options
Well... when you're talking leather... that's an interesting subject for me. I've tanned a few different kinds of hides the South American way. It's done with fels naptha soap, neets foot oil, and a hard wood like quebracho. Reptiles are another story. Ooh yuk.😁😜

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
One of my toys is a modified Benjamin...one of those high powered Pneumatic pellet guns and 1 bought 3d printed mags from Poland that hold 12 -25 cal pellets that fire with 3,000PSI, viewing through or remotely, an Xsight 2 Computerized Night/Day Vision scope. Go look at it, it's badda**....but HEAVY! The whole rig weighs 14.7 lbs with a stock-velcro'ed power pack. Definitely bipod territory for spending any time on the "glass".....but it's a really effective, powerful, clean, quiet package at 1500 bucks for the entire system including SCUBA tank for easy refill!

A lot of guys down South use something like this for hogs, usually more caliber......but .25 is good for iguanas and the scope is one-shot-to perfect...you sight in with 1 shot, place the reticle over the hit, press a button...gtg.....you cannot miss.

good times....but I would not shoot lizards or snakes....I just don't have it in me. To me, there are cool animals....like the Bald Eagles that landed in Kerry's trees yesterday morning 40 feet from us, it was mesmerizing as they were a mating pair, hawks, fox, racoon, deer...and of course reptiles are all "cool animals" to me...moles, voles, rodents and some others.....for them, I'm not so fond.
Wow competition grade setup. Iron sights single break that's a measly 1100 fps but the squirrels get dropped.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would 100% order frozen iguana meat if some enterprising Florida businessman would ship it....

J
I would too! That would be excellent snake food for the Drymarchon and Hydrodynastes, and my hawks would love it as part of their varied diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

One man's pest is another man's prize...

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Frozen iguanas became a popular bait for stone crab traps in the Keys for a while. They were free and held up underwater better than pigs feet.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Florida Fish and Wildlife has just announced that it is now legal to kill green Iguanas on both public and private lands.
Without specifics on exactly HOW to kill them. I'm sure many will be maimed and tortured and then die.
Talk about too little too late...
There are literally millions of them here.
They seem more common that any other lizard in some areas.
The issue is our warm winters.
It has to get below 50 and stay there for about 72 hours (from what I've seen) to kill them naturally. And that hasnt happened in several years.
These aren't released pets. These are distant relatives are this point.
Sad.
And probably too late to act at all.
They are taking the stance like Australia with the cats,rabbits,and cane toads have you watched any of the videos about the round ups and culling of anything invasive in sight,it's a tough watch but informative on the damage they really do to a ecosystem

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Frozen iguanas became a popular bait for stone crab traps in the Keys for a while. They were free and held up underwater better than pigs feet.
they were also turning them into liquid fertilizer for crops,parks and sold cheap to residents to help recoup some of the cost,pretty smart idea i think its the same with the pythons in the everglades plus you can make good money if you get a license to hunt them they pay cash on the head for as many as you can kill,they were anyway not sure if it changed recently

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow competition grade setup. Iron sights single break that's a measly 1100 fps but the squirrels get dropped.
You using Beaman or Crossman? 1100fps is deadly, though I prefer subsonic as it imparts a bit more stability to the pellet but I loved me the old .177 SilverJets, they will go through both sides of the skull, at 100 yds when I had 25 year old eyes<lol> ...sorry guys, that's gruesome.

I had a lot of "customers" at my old house off my cherry tree with my $30 Crossman. When you have young kids, you ain't spending $1500 on a system......at least I wasn't.

Back to the subject..............

I'm not going to get into the right or wrong of culling as a means of dealing with invasive species.........

I ask a different question...............is it simply redistribution or invasive species?

From what I can tell, most times, nature, "Didn't build this"

Over the course of a few decades, if we are fortunate enough to live them, we get a chance to see how bad man screws things up...........

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You using Beaman or Crossman? 1100fps is deadly, though I prefer subsonic as it imparts a bit more stability to the pellet but I loved me the old .177 SilverJets, they will go through both sides of the skull, at 100 yds when I had 25 year old eyes<lol> ...sorry guys, that's gruesome.

I had a lot of "customers" at my old house off my cherry tree with my $30 Crossman. When you have young kids, you ain't spending $1500 on a system......at least I wasn't.

I'm not going to get into the right or wrong of culling as a means of dealing with invasive species.........

I ask a different question...............is it simply redistribution or invasive species?

Over the course of a few decades, if we are fortunate enough to live them, we get a chance to see how bad man screws things up...........
Crossman and it came with a scope. Was an Amazon Cyber Monday deals years ago for $30 bucks. I use the .177 hunting pointed pellets that I have had for years. My dogs sure do enjoy squirrel for dinner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Wise words from a man who "knows"...

I work to remove invasive detrimental species from my area too. I also work to do my part in balancing out the detrimental imbalances caused by human idiocy where I can. A lifetime of study, observation, and time spent with animals both captive and in the wild helps guide my conscience and decisions.