The Tuck-Hut

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakkakth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
norrath
This it Tuck's little outdoor hut. I'm hoping this is an acceptable start?

I finally found the Kellogg's All Natural Garden Soil. I'll plant stuff in it later.

My patio has slats for it's ceiling so the direct light comes in bars, heh. Hopefully something is better than nothing tho? I'm gonna wait till it gets warmer to leave him out for the majority of the day or even nights but I wanted him to walk around since it's a warm day today. :) You can kinda see him in the top right corner of the 3rd picture.

3392175249_8b756371bf.jpg

3392979330_50a559bc2b.jpg

3392165975_f89bfddc63.jpg

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
That is a pretty sweet house. Is that made by ZooMed?

I was thinking about getting one of those, but I opted for the stock tank we have now.

Evan

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Just some information on the two tortoise houses I've seen lately.
zoomed tortoise house sells for around $100.00 for the sixe of 24'x36"x12" but they are modular so you can attach two togeter for added space. They are made of wood that you put together. And they do come with a hinged wire lid. I have not seen these in person. I have seen the one Blue Beast makes and I really liked it. its made of aluminum framing wrapped in PVC sheeting for a very durable, lightweight enclosure, and they used stainless steel and aluminum hardware with rivets instead of adhesives or tapes, making it completely waterproof and corossionproof. Large Cage- Footprint : 23" x 36" Sidewalls : 5" height. Cost $140 shipped. here is a link to it http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/ind...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=50&Itemid=69
Down side of the one from blue beast is the hight and completely open top is not modular.
Down side of the zoo med one is that it is made of wood and heavy.

sakkakth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
norrath
I have not found the zoomed one heavy. I can move it very easily actually... well before I put the dirt in it. The dirt by far was the biggest pain in the *** when it came to weight. :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Crazy1 said:
Just some information on the two tortoise houses I've seen lately.
zoomed tortoise house sells for around $100.00 for the sixe of 24'x36"x12" but they are modular so you can attach two togeter for added space. They are made of wood that you put together. And they do come with a hinged wire lid. I have not seen these in person. I have seen the one Blue Beast makes and I really liked it. its made of aluminum framing wrapped in PVC sheeting for a very durable, lightweight enclosure, and they used stainless steel and aluminum hardware with rivets instead of adhesives or tapes, making it completely waterproof and corossionproof. Large Cage- Footprint : 23" x 36" Sidewalls : 5" height. Cost $140 shipped. here is a link to it http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/ind...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=50&Itemid=69
Down side of the one from blue beast is the hight and completely open top is not modular.
Down side of the zoo med one is that it is made of wood and heavy.

Update on our (Bluebeast) cages - We are no longer selling them open-top, but they will have a screen lid that opens opposite of the hidebox lid. We had lots of people requesting screen lids, but I had already built a bunch without lids and pre-boxed them, so I didn't want to add them at that point. We just sold out of that batch. I am in the process of building another 15 of them (it's very time consuming), and the new ones will all have a screen top on them, but one that is easily removable by taking out 4 screws with a screwdriver for the people that don't want them (I prefer them without, as I have no natural predators outdoors, and don't like lids indoors).

My method of thought behind the 5" wall height was that any tortoise large enough to get over a 5" wall is probably too large to be in this cage's footprint (square footage) anyway. I based it on a Russian tortoise size, which are unable to get out of the cage unless there's several stacked up in a corner, etc. Low wall height makes them more viewable and accessible, which was a priority for me. From now on, with a screen top, though, escaping won't be a problem anymore. Same thought behind the size/width of the hidebox. Anyone wanting a hidebox opening larger just needs to find a larger cage for their tortoise.

Our next batch of tables will have a slightly smaller footprint than the current ones (by an inch or two each way) to put them into a smaller shipping category. They are unavailable for the next few weeks, but once I get a final size established, my site will be adjusted to match the new dimensions. I will have some smaller versions available at some local shows (which I think some of you saw in Pomona), but the costs are almost identical for me to make them and shipping is only a few dollars cheaper, so I don't have them on my site.

Robyn, are you going down to the show in San Diego in June? I've signed up for it, Anaheim, Sacramento, Salt Lake and Phoenix this year. Debating on making the trip to Chicago in October also.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
That's a very pretty enclosure- my favorite part is that it looks dog-proof, which would be very mind-easing in my neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.