The great mail mix-up of my "greek" (?) tortoise!

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
So I wanted a tortoise. That's where it all started. That's where everything starts on this website, isn't it? 'Get a tortoise' they said. 'It will be fun' they said. Well, it sure hasn't been easy!!!
I asked for this MALE HERMANN'S TORTOISE in late august, got a southern painted turtle (that I caught in my backyard,) let him go, and still wanted a tortoise. On November 27th, Charlie arrived.
If you read my first thread, you will know about the big scare with Charlie. He is dead, warm him up, why didn't he get here on time, AHHHH! (me screaming because I can't believe I just got a tort) etc. The box says Hermann's tortoise. I assume he is a Hermann's tortoise, life goes on.
Charlie is doing well. Eating sleeping pooping being cute all as planned. I discover tortoise forum, (thank god!) I post a picture of Charlie. I PM HermanniChris, everything is going well, when BAM! Someone replies to my thread and we discover the unevitable truth: Charlie the 'hermann's tortoise' is a little Greeky!!!!! I still can't believe this. I am freaking out, that they messed up my order, that they sent him late, that I payed like 150 dollars for an 80 dollar tortoise, it makes me so angry!
I am still SO HAPPY that I got Charlie, I would have never known the joys of having a Greek! His quirky little attitude right up to the little scale on his head that tells me he is an unplanned mistake brings a smile to my face. Every morning when I wake up, he is sitting on his log basking and observing his enclosure waiting for a soak and some salad. It makes my day! Sorry this went so long, I just wanted to tell the my story. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else have a mix up story to tell? This is the place to post it! Haha I hope this turns into a story thread!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry no mix up story here. Did you get money refunded to you atleast?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I don't have a mix up story either. Just wanted to say, I like your story, specially the ending, where you enjoy your tort so much, even if it's not the one you were suppose to get.:D. However, you do know what that means right? You still need to get the kind of tort you originally wanted, so works out really good, two torts instead of one:p :D

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
wellington said:
Sorry, I don't have a mix up story either. Just wanted to say, I like your story, specially the ending, where you enjoy your tort so much, even if it's not the one you were suppose to get.:D. However, you do know what that means right? You still need to get the kind of tort you originally wanted, so works out really good, two torts instead of one:p :D

HAHA doubt it, why don't you come to my house and try to convince my 'rents to let me have another tort!! Does anyone have a spare Hermann's tort i could keep forever? For free? And why don't you just throw in a unicorn too? Haha maybe when I get started on my outdoor enclosure I will get a few more. :) I just hope everything turns out alright, I was planning on getting a Hermann's and everything I have in my tank is for a Hermann's. Going on a tortoise shopping spree this Friday, can't wait! Maybe I will buy another tortoise from the mall!! :p;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hehehe, nice story. Glad you ended up happy with him.
One of my little Leo's is a mix-up but not to the degree of your little Charlie. I purchased two Leo's a month ago and I chose two specific hatchling and one of them wasn't one I picked but I absolutely love him and am completely happy with the mix-up. Watson happens to be a very handsome and has a great personality.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Psh, if I were you I would've asked for them to refund the difference, and if they didn't, I'd file a chargeback with my credit card company (assuming you used one).

I don't have a mix up story to tell, just the fun memory of when Olive, my second air-mail tortoise was delivered. The Fedex guy came up to my house swinging the box in his hand in stride, and when I told him to be careful, and that there was a live animal inside, he comforted me with these soothing words: "oh, he's probably already had it much worse just getting from the sender to my truck."

Warm fuzzies. Thanks, Fedex.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Not a mix-up, but I did have a similar delivery problem. After arranging next-day delivery with the breeder I spent the day working from home to wait for Ringo. I say "working", I mean "staring out the window waiting for him to arrive". When the delivery guy eventually arrived around quarter past 1 (not bad for "guaranteed delivery before noon") we watched the truck pull up outside. Then we saw the driver go rooting around in the back. Then we saw a box get thrown out the side, before it was hoisted onto his shoulder and taken up to our door. His defence? "Normally they seal the box with tape marked 'fragile'". The big stickers saying "fragile" and "live reptiles" obviously mean something different. My girlfriend shouted at him - a lot. I phoned the depot and spoke to his manager. He probably had a few questions to answer when he got back.

Moral of the story? If you ever want anything delivered on time and safely in the UK, don't get TNT to do it.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Back in 2010 I was at a show and bought a Hermann's tort from a dealer (he said he was a breeder but as you'll see I doubt it). He showed my five torts to pick from and I I selected my little guy.
Fast forward a bit and I decided to join this forum. I show pictures of my little guy and whamo someone tells me the Hermann's with the odd plastron pattern is in fact a Greek!

I felt embarrassed and disappointed. I was upset that I paid $175 for a Greek when the dealer had them labeled for $125. When I saw the dealer he said he didn't remember me and refused a refund.

Now after all of this I will only buy from breeders like HermaniChris or other reputable members of this forum!

Btw I also got taken by a mail order Hermann's that turned out to be marginated! The vendor said someone must have but him in the wrong habitat after cleaning. At least they gave me a partial refund and apologized.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
I didn't talk to Turtle Shack because I don't really care about the money, I am just happy to have a healthy, beautiful tortoise even if he was...not planned! I love the stories!

Mgridgaway said:
Psh, if I were you I would've asked for them to refund the difference, and if they didn't, I'd file a chargeback with my credit card company (assuming you used one).

I don't have a mix up story to tell, just the fun memory of when Olive, my second air-mail tortoise was delivered. The Fedex guy came up to my house swinging the box in his hand in stride, and when I told him to be careful, and that there was a live animal inside, he comforted me with these soothing words: "oh, he's probably already had it much worse just getting from the sender to my truck."

Haha! I hope he was ok! Thats how most companies are anyways, they don't care about the tortoise, just want to get the job done! My guy threw it on the ground and stomped on it (just kidding) I don't think they pay much attention to the label, and that's not fair to us. Next time I get a tortoise, its definetley going to be from my local pet store. He always stands by his animals as many small shops do.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
tort_luv_5055 said:
I didn't talk to Turtle Shack because I don't really care about the money, I am just happy to have a healthy, beautiful tortoise even if he was...not planned! I love the stories!

I would still tell them they're a bunch of idiots lol

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
tort_luv_5055 said:

Mgridgaway said:

Haha! I hope he was ok! Thats how most companies are anyways, they don't care about the tortoise, just want to get the job done! My guy threw it on the ground and stomped on it (just kidding) I don't think they pay much attention to the label, and that's not fair to us. Next time I get a tortoise, its definetley going to be from my local pet store. He always stands by his animals as many small shops do.

To Fedex's defense, the lady who delivered Darwin, my first air-mail tort, did so with great care. She had the package sitting with her in the front of the truck, walked it right side up with two hands, and even asked me if there was really a live animal inside.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Mgridgaway said:
tort_luv_5055 said:

Mgridgaway said:

To Fedex's defense, the lady who delivered Darwin, my first air-mail tort, did so with great care. She had the package sitting with her in the front of the truck, walked it right side up with two hands, and even asked me if there was really a live animal inside.

That's great! I hope if you ever order an air-mail tort again, Darwin delivers it! I am glad that some people care about how they deliver packages especially when there are live animals inside. (I didn't mean to hate on Fedex, sorry lol)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
tort_luv_5055 said:
Mgridgaway said:
tort_luv_5055 said:

Mgridgaway said:

That's great! I hope if you ever order an air-mail tort again, Darwin delivers it! I am glad that some people care about how they deliver packages especially when there are live animals inside. (I didn't mean to hate on Fedex, sorry lol)

Darwin is the torts name, not the delivery lady's ;)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
hehehehehe I hate mix-ups like this but be happy it went the way it did! Could you imagine if you had bought a Hermanns and got a Sulcata instead? not so much problems now.... but in a few years you would need a full sized yard to keep him in!

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Mgridgaway said:
tort_luv_5055 said:
Mgridgaway said:
tort_luv_5055 said:

Mgridgaway said:

Darwin is the torts name, not the delivery lady's ;)

OOOOOOHHHHH. woopsies teehee, sorry darwin. What kind of tort was it?

Zamric said:
hehehehehe I hate mix-ups like this but be happy it went the way it did! Could you imagine if you had bought a Hermanns and got a Sulcata instead? not so much problems now.... but in a few years you would need a full sized yard to keep him in!

I can't even imagine! Maybe when I have my own house, but my parents would never let me voluntarily buy a tort with the potential of being that big!!! It took 4 months of begging just for a Hermann's, *cough cough* GREEK, torty! (here we go with the off topic rambling) Your Leo's are beautiful! How do you keep them so smooth? I must know your secret!