The existance of Somalia/Ethiopia leopards in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wagners

5 Year Member
Have there been any examples of the Giant Leopards from the Somalia/Ethiopia area surfacing in the US? Also, do they fall into one of the two subspecies of leopards(babcocki?) or are they an non recognized subspecies of their own?

Here's a thought... is it possible the existence of giant leopards may be from the tortoises living in IDEAL conditions in which they thrive?

There's something about the possibility of a 45" leopard tortoise that intrigues me. :)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
They are babcocki's!! And as far as anyone having them in the US....as for adults prob not....young adults or hatchlings...highly possible. If we could get someone with that strand i'd pay good money form.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't believe that any have ever been imported. From what I have read, eventhough the countries they're from seem very arid, the large leopards are typically found in wetter areas with good vegetation. http://youtu.be/2CGYa6UWvSQ There were 139 imported to Spain in July of 2007, many of which died. There is also a guy in Germany who sells hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've heard that some made it to Europe, but many of them died. They seem to be a bit fragile. The Fife's did a presentation on what they found over there, and the biggest ones were around 24". 48" would be a really big Galop or Aldabra. They Ethiopians don't get THAT big. I too have heard them lumped with the babcocki, but some believe they should be a third subspecies, while others believe there should be no subspecies status for any of the leopards. The last study I saw on wild leopards showed 11 different "types".

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If there are any in the US it's not been widely known. There are lots of tortoise owners that keep to themselves out there, and it's possible there are some specimens in the US. If not right now...well...who knows what the future will bring. ;)

Someone on a European Tortoise Forum posted pictures of adults and babies from Ethiopia a couple years ago. The babies were pretty big, and the biggest adult couldn't have been much more than 24 inches.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If anyone has 'em...it's Jerry Fife!

Status
Not open for further replies.