The digging part II (Warning: slightly morbid)

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Okay. So some of you know that Tank has started various burrows in my yard. So far the deepest he's gone is about 3-4 feet. Until now.
He has just over a 1/2 acre of his own space to choose from. He digs in all the corners. I don't mind I just don't want him to get hurt or be wanting/needing something he doesn't have. (He is very spoiled, he has everything)
Well, last night I came home from work and go back to greet him, he's on a far off area with the dirt flying... I go to inspect what he's doing exactly because he was right near my beloved 14 year old Lab/Shepard mix, Whiskey's tombstone. He passed away last year and we buried him in his yard.
Tank was busily working away at a near 6 ft hole and yes, sadly, he had exposed my dogs skull...

He was not coming out!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404858792.869307.jpg

If you look at the wall to the left of Tank, you'll see it. :(ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404858869.991360.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's like they have this magical power to know where not to dig, so they dig in those spots. :( Sorry for the rotten and sad thing you came home to. :(

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I know! Like I said, he has a half acre to choose from. Why there???
Anyway. When he came out this morning we were able to fill it back in and placed a pedal boat (flat bottom) over it so hopefully he'll find a better spot. I can't think of a worse one! Geez.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Maybe he missed him? or maybe he noticed the looser soil....

I think these guys have a strong sense of smell. In the wild, I'd imagine they would eat just about anything they could sniff out.

Yuck in this case, but instinctual none the less.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry. Not the best way to end the day I bet. Hope he finds some place else to dig.