Terra catta saucer?

sulcalcifer

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I was just wondering where other people have bought their terra cotta saucers? I bought one from Walmart and it doesn't seem to hold water; it just soaks through the dish by the next day. I live in Wisconsin so there aren't many stores that sell plant-related products right now due to it being 7 degrees out haha. There is a Home Depot about an hour away from me, but if other stores closer to me carry them I'd rather not drive that far. Has anyone had any luck with the ones there anyways? Even online stores would help! Any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Home Depot, sometimes target, nursery. This time of year, Home Depot will be your best bet.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Sometimes you can find them in florist shops, or at the grocery stores, in the floral area. And don't forget thrift stores or yard sales. Here in California they are everywhere, even in people's side yards or porches, sitting unused. Scope out your neighborhood and see if someone will sell one to you. Another cool place to look for tortoise things are restaurant supply stores. The tubs that bus boys use to pic up tables are excellent for tortoise keeping, or soaking the big guys. I use a little white thingee for dipping sauces that I got at the restaurant supply to soak my littlest guys. Oh and Walmart sometimes has some sloped cat food dishes. Got one the other day that was white with gummy bear fish for graphics. Kinda funny cool. It's oval and perfect for my larger baby leopard. The sloped ones are like terra cotta saucers in that the tortoises can get in and out easily without flipping over and drowning. See attached.

Attachments

• S30A1708.JPG
    S30A1708.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 43

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
I'm in the UK and mine does the same. Just soaks the water up.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I have got mine at Menards, They are based out of WI so hopefully they
are in your area.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
There have been reports that a small percentage of the saucers leak. Not all of them do. You probably just got one of the few that do. My suggestion is just get another one. Even from the same place.
I buy them at Wal Mart, Home Depot and even my local 99cent store since they carry them. Out of 9 of the clay saucer, not one has leaked for me.

sulcalcifer

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Wisconsin
Thanks everyone! I have a Lowes about 10 minutes away so I'll check there first! Yea I was so excited when I found one so I was pretty bummed when it leaked :(