Temperature question

BobbyJ

I was just wondering what a proper temp is fo my redfoot im currently using a basking bulb .. The baskin spot is -95 degrees but the rest of the tank is high 80's .. Is this ok .. He seems healthy and eats plenty

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Just offer plenty of soaks. If he's active then there's nothing wrong with high 80's. Most seem to prefer mid 80's (84-86) but it sounds likes yours is fine.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Take the temps down to 82-83 and see if he's more or less active, that will tell you his comfort zone. If there's no difference then set the temps to whatever is easiest for you to constantly maintain.

BobbyJ

Take the temps down to 82-83 and see if he's more or less active, that will tell you his comfort zone. If there's no difference then set the temps to whatever is easiest for you to constantly maintain.
Ok I will .. I'm going to try a 100 watt bulb that should bring it down just enough . He'll still have a basking spot at about 90 .. I'm thinking of just having two of them ,, if that doesn't work I'll get the CHE. You always tell me about hah! I'll let you know how it goes

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Why don't you buy a thermostat? It will turn the heat off when it gets too hot. The CHE is for night time use because it emits no light, they need the same heat at night.

BobbyJ

Why don't you buy a thermostat? It will turn the heat off when it gets too hot. The CHE is for night time use because it emits no light, they need the same heat at night.
I have a nighttime bulb for night time

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah it's red but it doesn't give off much light
Tortoises see color so it's not dark for them. The red lights mess with there day/night cycle which is why you need heat with no light. The red lights also mess with their heads and sometimes causes them to eat their substrate.

Guess what I'm going to say next. You guessed it

GET A CHE AND PUT IT ON A THERMOSTAT, lol

BobbyJ

Tortoises see color so it's not dark for them. The red lights mess with there day/night cycle which is why you need heat with no light. The red lights also mess with their heads and sometimes causes them to eat their substrate.

Guess what I'm going to say next. You guessed it

GET A CHE AND PUT IT ON A THERMOSTAT, lol
You win , I'll get the CHE

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'm going to start with one and if it warms the whole tank then I'll keep it if not I'll get two . I'm gonna start with a 150 watt
Isn't your tank small? A Che puts off a lot of heat so be sure to use it with a thermostat or you could easily over heat it

BobbyJ

Isn't your tank small? A Che puts off a lot of heat so be sure to use it with a thermostat or you could easily over heat it
Yeah it's 4' by 18" so Oncw I get it I'll definetaly have the thermostat